PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Shootimg

Clyde Hopper
08-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Nikon D90 , Sigma 150-500 @ 500mm, f/6.3 , ss=1/250 ,ISO-400 ,Shutter priority ,Matrix metering . Shot in RAW ,processed in CS6 .Most all work done in ACR ,Big Crop (This is about 30% of the original frame ) Shot from a blind (Car window with camo tarp covering . A lens size whole cut out of it ) on bean bag .
The crop was to remove the feeder and for comp ,So the bird would be looking into the frame .
Posting this ,so I can recognize the parts of the photo I have over looked . I think I see some noise (The big crop hurt with that ) And I suspect the ss should be higher . wdyt ?

David Kenny
08-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Clyde,

The background is nice and clean, you have nice feather detail and I like the "look back pose". As far as the noise goes I am not seeing any on my monitor. I think I would have upped the ISO to get a little more shutter speed since you were at 500mm. I personally would of dialed in at least +1/2 to the exposure compensation as well (not sure what Nikon calls it). It looks like possibly there is a tiny bit of the feeder left above the perch on the right hand side. You may want to consider cloning out. Overall it is very nice. I like the colors on these guys. I believe it is a house finch.

-Dave

Barry Ekstrand
08-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Clyde,

Very nice shot, I like the pose very much. Ditto what David said on the techs. I understand why you cropped it down but with the bird looking back and tail dipping behind the perch I'm wishing there was more canvas to the right (without the feeder of course). Just a data point for you when undesirable objects are not in play and you have the option of leaving more canvas. Congrats on a very nice image.

Barry

Diane Miller
08-07-2014, 06:14 PM
I love house finches -- very nice find and lovely background, but the head and breast look soft. Maybe movement of the focus point didn't hit right. It's hard when they twitch, but keep trying! I would try for higher shutter speed. And get closer so you don't have to crop. Put a feeder where you can sit comfortably with your hands on the camera (tripod, of course, with the head loose so you can move it) and put a staging perch near the feeder. They will get used to you very quickly if you sit still and when they land on the staging perch as they approach the feeder is when you can get some good shots.

You'll get sharper pictures if the lens isn't at the full focal length and not wide open. You should be able to get that close easily.

Tobie Schalkwyk
08-11-2014, 12:36 AM
Nice scene & comp.

Agreeing with Diane. The Sigma 150-500 occasionally gives potent IQ at 500mm but if you want to increase your chances of getting a clear pic, try not to go beyond 400mm (450mm at the most) and close your Aperture to 7.1 (or even closer if possible). Having said that - I think a round or two of sharpening (I usually use Unsharp masking in PS) will do wonders to your attached pic.

Walker Noe
08-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Great color and DOF in this shot. I would say it is maybe 1/3 to 1/2 stop underexposed. I would dial that in and do a touch of highlight recovery on the branch. I would also like to see the rest of the tail. Well captured nonetheless.

Walker