PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Cape Spear Lighthouse

Nancy Bell
08-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Here is my attempt at Photoshop style Infrared. Definitely not the real thing. Converted original image to PS b&w, infrared, adjusting sliders. Then on advice from the web I applied the diffuse glow filter from the PS filter gallery. Added a few additional tweaks. It's a fun technique to explore and it is getting me interested in b&w in general.

I photographed the original image last month in Newfoundland. This is the original lighthouse that has been replaced with one of those tall cone-shaped ones. Just on the other side of that white fence is a steep rocky cliff and you look straight down at the ocean. This historical site is just full of photo opportunities everywhere you turn. I did not have time to go everywhere I wanted before the sun set. We were lucky as it was a clear day, warm, little wind and few other tourists.

Jackie Schuknecht
08-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Nancy I like the b and w. I might however try toning down the fence and lightening the lighthouse. It seems like the fence is the attention grabber in this scene for me. The sky is lovely in this quaint landscape. I'm glad you had good weather. Looking forward to more images.

Cheryl Slechta
08-08-2014, 08:11 AM
Hi, Nancy, yep, I'm becoming more and more enamored with b&w and infrared. I like the composition and the b&w treatment. I don't mind the brighter fence and I like the way it leads into the scene. I might crop just a bit from the bottom so it is not quite as prominent and maybe lighten the wall of the lighthouse.:S3:

Diane Miller
08-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Well composed with a wonderful sky!! I love the glow on the fence, and would try to get some of that effect on the lighthouse. Maybe a gradient burn in the LR.

gary ellwein
08-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Nicely composed with the fence and clouds leading to the light house. The scene lends itself to B&W. I agree with Jackie that the fence is a bit hot.

Wendy Kates
08-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Nancy...I like the mood that this image creates, especially as it applies to the sky. I agree that the fence should be toned down. I, too, found the advice about the diffuse glow filter on the web, and originally tried it on my "Iris" image, but it didn't enhance it.

I'm really enjoying these biweekly challenges in OOTB because they force me to try new filters and effects that I wouldn't have tried on my own, thus broadening my creative efforts.