PDA

View Full Version : Snail Kite in flight

Kester Clarke
08-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Took this shoot in the late afternoon. I like the head turn but wish the wings were more extended.
6D + 500 f4 Mk1 + 1.4x II, f/8, 1/2500s, ISO800, hand held.

Geoffrey Montagu
08-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Excellent BIF image. I too like the head turn and very nice detail. I'm fine with this wing position, and the favorable tail tilt towards us. One nit would be IMO, to bring the shadow detail up on the far wing at least matching the near wing shadow detail. Good catch light too. Well done.

Geoffrey

gail bisson
08-06-2014, 03:22 PM
You have lovely light and nice head turn.
I would sharpen the eye a little bit.
I am wondering what that smudge is just above the white area of the tail. I would evict it, whatever it is.
This is a minor housekeeping detail, but you have a dust spot one inch from the top of the frame near the middle left.
Nice image overall,
Gail

Mike Milicia
08-06-2014, 05:07 PM
I see what you mean about the wings but I think the excellent eye contact makes up for it!

There's a distinct halo around most of the bird ... most likely a sharpening issue and/or too much S/H maybe?

Tobie Schalkwyk
08-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Nice one, Kester! I don't have a problem with the wing position because it exposes the nice under-wing feather detail. I'd also sharpen the eye just a tad. But beautiful, regardless!

arash_hazeghi
08-09-2014, 04:48 PM
I like the pose and subtle tones in the BG. I wish the wings were fully raised and I also see the strong halo around the wings.

the light, the head turn and details are sweet TFS

Marina Scarr
08-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Love the way the kite is looking over at you and you had terrific light here. This is a great image, although sure it would have been even better with the wings fully raised. Good eye on the smudge Gail, but I had to strain to even find it.

Kester Clarke
08-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Thanks everyone.
I see the Halo around the far wing. Will correct.