PDA

View Full Version : dahlia

Ron Conlon
08-06-2014, 07:22 AM
This is a dahlia that we purchased from Costco about 5 years ago. Every previous photo has gone in the trash over those years. All were attempted outside, previously. With this one stacked in the lightbox with a black background I found one to keep. I struggled with the framing, probably for the same reasons that I struggled previously--without a lot of black around this very dark bloom, it doesn't shine.

12 images DMap stacked in Zerene
lighbox, remote fllash, tripod shutter release, through focus with the focus ring, D5100 200mm f/6.3 1/200s iso 100

Diane Miller
08-06-2014, 01:24 PM
This is just awesome!! The flower is velvet!!

I'm curious about the shape of the black border over the dark gray BG, though. It's much wider on the right, missing a piece near the stem and not there at all on the top.

I'm guessing maybe you added canvas, using black, and your monitor isn't showing the difference in tonalities. Add a curves layer and pull up the middle, or in on the right and you'll see it.

A more even black border is an idea I would like, against the rich charcoal BG. Would be easy to sample your BG color and fill in the black with it, then add black canvas evenly.

Ron Conlon
08-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Thanks! Right you are, I cannot see the difference between the background and the black canvas I added on my laptop or my monitor. I know they are different, but because I couldn't see it, assumed it would go unnoticed.

Steve Maxson
08-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Hi Ron. A stunning photo - very dramatic and everything is sharp! I agree with Diane about the background - it shows up on my monitor - subtle, but visible. A few tweaks should take care of it. Excellent work!

Allen Sparks
08-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Hi Ron,
beautiful flower and rendition of it. the focus stacking worked very well. I can see the difference in the black backgrounds as well.

Allen

John Robinson
08-07-2014, 06:49 PM
Aoart from the backdrop which is easily sorted, a nice looking Dahlia
These happen to be my speciality. I have about 40 varieties which I show quite a lot.
My favourite flowers and this one is a new variety to me.
Good stuff.
John

Ron Conlon
08-07-2014, 08:41 PM
John, that's quite the dahlia enterprise. I would guess that you don't need to dig them out in the fall like we do here. You should share some pics of yours. I don't recal any posted here, but I am a newby.