PDA

View Full Version : Theme Peck the pecker!

Marc Mol
08-05-2014, 09:59 AM
A croc's unsuccessful snatch & grab attempt on Red-billed Oxpeckers!

I just happened to be focusing on a small flock of noisy Oxpeckers on this hippo when all of a sudden this 5ft croc leapt out in an attempt to grab one, :Whoa!: I simply otherwise would never had got the shot as it was over in a split second.
If it wasn't for the D4's 10fps rate this capture would have been far less effective, a case of the right place @ the right time. I like how the hippo was completely unfazed about the whole event.:bg3:
I've never seen this behaviour in 30 years of travelling to Africa, just a pure piece of luck & timing I think.

Mwaleshi camp, Luangwa river confluence, remote Nth Luangwa NP- Zambia.

D4 500 f/4 VRII + 1.4tc 1/1600s f/6.3 ISO800. Tripod on the beach, slight crop for comp, luminosity mask, levels, curves, USM and color adjustments, in ACR / PSCC.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

Andreas Liedmann
08-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Agree unusual sighting !

TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
08-05-2014, 05:52 PM
Hi Marc - Sometimes photography takes a good amount of luck and it was certainly on your side here. Good job capturing the action. I might tone down the highlights on the side of the croc a little.

TFS,
Rachel

Tobie Schalkwyk
08-06-2014, 01:37 AM
"The more I practice, the luckier I get" - Gary Player, one of the greatest golfers of all time.

Nice action shot, Marc! One of those unique ones belonging to you alone. Brave croc, jumping onto a hippo like that! He has probably been doing it for a while so the hippo's are used to it.

Marc Mol
08-06-2014, 04:25 AM
Thanks Andreas, Rachel & Tobie

I might tone down the highlights on the side of the croc a little.

TFS,
Rachel

The highlights aren't blown here Rachel, but at this web size it looks worse than appears.:e3

edwardselfe
08-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Must be a Luangwa thing - I've seen it a few times but never in a situation to take such an amazing shot. To me, all is great except the turquoise tones in the water around the hippos. A bit too much blue for me. Lovely, lovely shot - even the OPs stayed in the plane of focus for you!
Ed

Loi Nguyen
08-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Hi Marc, very cool shot, quick action! Good light too. I'd like to suggest cropping a sliver off the top to show less of the dirk bank. TFS. Loi

Marc Mol
08-06-2014, 01:42 PM
Thanks Ed & Loi

I've seen it a few times but never in a situation to take such an amazing shot.
Ed

I should state that I've witnessed this behaviour from the shoreline, but never off a hippo's back, have you witnessed this "off the back" so to speak in the Luangwa Ed?

edwardselfe
08-07-2014, 12:44 AM
Yes, attacking birds on the shoreline and also trying to take OPs off the hippos' backs. But always small crocs and I don't remember them getting so high up onto the hippos' backs as this one has. I also remember the hippos being very agitated by it, which this one doesn't seem to be!! Perhaps this croc does it regularly and the hippos have become used to it. Very cool to have an image to prove it!
Ed

Marc Mol
08-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Thanks Ed,

some interesting observations, it's one of those experiences where unless your view is directly on them you miss it, as it's all over in a split second.

Neil Burton
08-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Great timing either way :)

Gabriela Plesea
08-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Amazing capture of opportunistic behaviour from this crocodile, they are really not picky and would go for just about anything as long as it is meat (be it a tiny morsel)!!! Indeed great timing and once again I feel green with jealousy when I think of your opportunities, Marc! You don't miss anything, you have been posting great interactions and mostly gripping stuff, your call of course but if this were mine (should I be so lucky:t3) I would take off a tad from the top, if only to direct all the attention to the action...

Looking forward to the next image...not missing anything...

Kind regards,

Marc Mol
08-14-2014, 05:41 AM
Many thanks Neil & Gabriela

your call of course but if this were mine (should I be so lucky:t3) I would take off a tad from the top, if only to direct all the attention to the action...

I hear you on this one Gabriela and you're probably right on taking some off the top, it's more a case for me of trying to keep my format @ 2:3,...... just a habit.