PDA

View Full Version : You Woke Me Up For Paparazzi?

Marina Scarr
08-05-2014, 08:13 AM
The night before this image was taken, I checked out the cavity for owlets since it had been a couple of weeks. Sure enough there was one owlet at the mouth of the cavity. This is the scene I encountered the next morning. Love seeing owlet #2 making its first appearance, trying to squeeze past its older and larger sibling, only to witness a bunch of excited nature photographers.

This was photographed from the back of a pick up truck. My 1.4 TC was broken and my only choices were straight 500L or 1000mm with the 2.0 TC. I went with the tighter view so there is only a minimal crop.

Thanks in advance for looking and please feel free to provide comments and critiques.

Canon 1D4, Canon 500L & 2.0 TC
F11, 1/100sec, ISO 1000 manual mode
Fill flash with better beamer
Feisol tripod, Jobu head

Stu Bowie
08-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Hi Marina, good choice on going in tight, as you achieve a natural comp focussing on the chicks. I like the fuzzy detail, good eye contact from both chicks, and the little one trying to peer through puts this over the top.

Daniel Cadieux
08-05-2014, 11:26 AM
ha ha, just the one owl would have been good enough, but the second peeking up makes this a priceless image! The side lighting works well. A huge smile maker for sure!

keith mitchell
08-05-2014, 11:41 AM
Hi Marina, agree with Daniel it's priceless.

Keith.

Binu John
08-05-2014, 01:03 PM
What a cute shot! Lovely exposure, composition and feather details! Well done!

Diane Miller
08-05-2014, 02:03 PM
I had to look twice to see the second owl -- how wonderfully cute! This was one where going tight was a great choice. I'm speechless as to suggestions for improvement.

You've done some amazing owls. Hope you'll keep them coming!

John Robinson
08-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Cute factor indeed Marina.. My only small nit would be tp tone down the pale area behind the large birds head. No big deal though.Certainly a winner.
Rocks my boat as they say.
John

Doug Brown
08-06-2014, 07:22 AM
You are without a doubt the nesting owl queen! Another priceless image Marina! Nice use of fill to balance out the side lighting.

David Salem
08-06-2014, 09:52 AM
The owlet on it's own looks great but the sibling poking it's head out is priceless. What a great frame Marina. Doug is right, you are the queen of these shots! See ya soon.