PDA

View Full Version : Theme Epic Etosha

Morkel Erasmus
08-04-2014, 01:33 PM
...at 31mm focal length from an underground research bunker...

(pretty sure I haven't posted this one on BPN before, correct me if I am wrong please :t3)

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 @ 31mm
f8.0 | 1/320 SS | ISO-400
Slight crop from top and sides

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-04-2014, 02:05 PM
Great Etosha scene Morkel. I like how the nearest ele towers over the rest of em & the odd giraffe in the BG.

Andreas Liedmann
08-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Hi Morkel , priceless low angle from the M ...... bunker .
Great colors and overall tones/contrast combined with a lovely spreading of various subjects across the scene.
In this case what disturbs me a bit ,are the other elephants just behind the front major subject, in a real nice world they would have not been there.

Have not seen this yet :t3, and would give a lot to get to M........ waterhole .:w3

TFS Andreas

stuart wanuck
08-04-2014, 05:10 PM
image rocks!

Loi Nguyen
08-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Hi Morkel, beautiful colors and texture. The underground bunker offers a unique perspective. The only thing I would wish for is to see more of the elephants in the BG. Loi

Rachel Hollander
08-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Hi Morkel - Great low pov of a classic Etosha scene. Gorgeous blue sky too. I too wish there was a little more separation between the main ele and the ones immediately behind. Were you able to get any as the ele moved into the open space to the left?

TFS,
Rachel

Tobie Schalkwyk
08-04-2014, 11:38 PM
Super shot, Morkel! The colors complement each other beautifully! One can argue about the ele's behind the main guy but this works for me because the open space up to te giraffes farthest away is one of the reasons this scene is a success. Ele's in that area would have spoilt it. Well done with this one mate! :5

Morkel Erasmus
08-04-2014, 11:58 PM
Thanks folks!

Hi Morkel - Great low pov of a classic Etosha scene. Gorgeous blue sky too. I too wish there was a little more separation between the main ele and the ones immediately behind. Were you able to get any as the ele moved into the open space to the left?

TFS,
Rachel

Good observation, Rachel - I have a shot where he moved into that space but he angled his head and body away from me as he moved there so the photo isn't as pleasing as this one...:e3

edwardselfe
08-05-2014, 01:15 AM
Very nice - only thing would be to have the separation, but with so many animals in the frame, that would have been a miracle!
Ed

Marc Mol
08-05-2014, 01:54 AM
Love the colour and low angle here Morkel, very nice but it's a shame the BG ele's spoil the grace and beauty of this fine bull, I gather you didn't get a clear shot of him?

.................al the better for a return visit.:w3

TFS

Rachel Hollander
08-05-2014, 05:12 AM
Thanks folks!

Good observation, Rachel - I have a shot where he moved into that space but he angled his head and body away from me as he moved there so the photo isn't as pleasing as this one...:e3

Morkel - that seems to be nature's way of always toying with us!

Steve Kaluski
08-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Hi Morkel, I really like the clarity of the image (down to the air?), good detail and sharpness with the main subject almost having a 3D feel. I also like the idea of the giraffes flanking the sides but the ones behind the main subject are a little distracting. These underground bunkers are great providing a unique angle/POV unachievable under normal circumstance, can I assume these do not have glass to contend with?Perfect blue sky!

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
08-05-2014, 02:52 PM
.................al the better for a return visit.

Indeed! In the pipeline, as they say. Now to find time to arrange that...:Whoa!:

These underground bunkers are great providing a unique angle/POV unachievable under normal circumstance, can I assume these do not have glass to contend with?Perfect blue sky!

Yep Steve, no glass here. In fact, for many of these shots I stuck my hand and camera through the slit to get a better perspective, using Live View to compose...:w3
Also, no A/C and comfy chairs like the Zimanga hides have...this is an old concrete bunker filled with cobwebs, lots of dust and a few dead birds, and you sit on an old wooden bench. Not exactly built for comfort and not used much during the year.

Steve Kaluski
08-05-2014, 03:07 PM
Not exactly built for comfort and not used much during the year.

Who said Photography should be comfy? At least you did not have a Black Mamba, that was a reality check!!! :Whoa!:

Morkel Erasmus
08-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Who said Photography should be comfy? At least you did not have a Black Mamba, that was a reality check!!! :Whoa!:

Well there was a dead bird hanging from its nest in the corner of the bunker - no doubt a snake was in there at some point haha.

(That sounds like an interesting tale, tell more! :bg3:)

Gabriela Plesea
08-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Dear Morkel, the perspective and that blue sky really make this image for me, Etosha is awesome and so is your capture of this scene, love just about everything in this image save for the ellies behind the main character (but obviously there was nothing you could do about it). Well processed and the colours are beautiful, nice textures on the ellie's skin and I love the other characters peppered far off in the BG, great work!

Kind regards,

Shreyas Mantri
08-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Lovely image and can't beat the POV on this series!
Love the multitude of animals in the scene, the only thing missing here is an Qryx :w3

Shreyas

Morkel Erasmus
08-20-2014, 05:14 PM
Thank you so much Gabriela and Shreyas.

Shreyas - are you going to make me beg you to post some Mana Pools photos??? :bg3: