PDA

View Full Version : King Rail

Bill Dix
08-04-2014, 11:34 AM
In April I got my first brief glimpse of this species in Texas. On Saturday evening I was treated to almost two hours of views of this female King Rail and her three chicks, in Bayonne, NJ of all places. Light along the edge of the marsh was dim, and she didn't stay still (or even visible) for very long at a time, but I got a number of frames of her, and a few of one of the chicks. This is the first frame that I've processed. C&C appreciated.

D7000, 700mm, ISO 2000, 1/1600s @ f/5.6 manual. HH, braced against a high railing on a walkway overlooking the marsh. Removed several distracting blades of marsh grass.

Geoffrey Montagu
08-04-2014, 02:38 PM
She's gorgeous and so is the image, Bill. Given the changing light and her not standing still for any length of time, I think you captured her in the environment beautifully. Interesting to see the differences between the King and Clapper Rails. Love the light eyebrow. Very good techs. and HH work.

Geoffrey

Bill Dix
08-04-2014, 02:42 PM
She's gorgeous and so is the image, Bill. Given the changing light and her not standing still for any length of time, I think you captured her in the environment beautifully. Interesting to see the differences between the King and Clapper Rails. Love the light eyebrow. Very good techs. and HH work.

Geoffrey

Thanks Geoffrey. I heard your shutter click approximately 700 times, so I hope you got some frames that you're pleased with.

Geoffrey Montagu
08-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Thanks Geoffrey. I heard your shutter click approximately 700 times, so I hope you got some frames that you're pleased with.

I did get what I feel are some frames I'm pleased with, thanks. As you know the light was changing, the King (lifer), Clapper and chicks would dart in and out of the reeds. Near 700 frames may seem a lot, but with so much activity, including, a Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (lifer), and just as we were about to leave 12 Black-crowned Night-Heron's flew in and landed nearby. I'll be editing till the cows (Chickens) come home to roost.

Geoffrey

Binu John
08-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Excellent exposure and clarity, Bill! Love the feather details too. Well done!

David Salem
08-05-2014, 03:17 AM
Great looking close up of this Rail. The exposure and detail is right on. Nice natural habitat shot Bill

christopher galeski
08-05-2014, 07:42 AM
nice habitat image Bill,good detail in the bird,pleasant light.TFS.

Bill Dix
08-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments.

Satish Ranadive
08-07-2014, 02:44 AM
Spectacular image, Bill Sir.
Love it.

Regards,
Satish.

Bill Dix
08-07-2014, 06:13 AM
Thanks Satish.