PDA

View Full Version : Theme Elephant Family, Amboseli

Loi Nguyen
08-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Reworked an image from last year trip to Amboseli. Overcast gray sky, so cropped out a sliver of sky on top. One of our favorite places in Africa.

1DX
500f4 II + 1.4X III
1/1250
f5.6
ISO-400
HH from safari vehicle

Appreciate your comments

Thank you

Loi

Gabriela Plesea
08-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Lovely image Loi, and this qualifies for the monthly theme, in my opinion!

There's a cleanliness I really enjoy in this image, love the pink tinge in the sky, I might like it even more if you added a tad more contrast to the ellies. I just feel it needs a tad more "pop", Andreas style:w3... Love the little ellie, his ears flat against his sides, showing determination to complete the journey...Maybe it's a she, not sure:tinysmile_shy_t:

Glaringly green grass...this is lovely, really great in terms of colours and I am enjoying viewing this image, a lot. You emphasized all that was important here, choosing what needed detail and the rest you left out - I do like your thinking, very well done!

Kind regards,

Loi Nguyen
08-03-2014, 12:42 AM
Hi Gabriela, you are right, the image could use some more contrast. I also gave the baby and the adult behind the baby another round of sharpening. Hope you will like it better. Thank you! Loi

Gabriela Plesea
08-03-2014, 05:25 AM
I absolutely love it, Loi! The IQ of this image is so good, by the way. Yes, it's got more life, more punch now, a subtle change with great effect, and I so love the little one with his ears so neatly folded backwards-very very sweet:S3:

Looking forward to your next post, I really like your work and especially the thoughtful, careful processing, wondering what's next?:S3:

Have a great Sunday,

Rachel Hollander
08-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Hi Loi - there's a tranquility to the image which is nice. The rp is an improvement with a bit more detail too. I like the comp with the little one walking between the 2 bigger eles. What time of day was this shot? There's an obvious magenta cast to the bg. Overall, well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Loi Nguyen
08-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Hi Rachel, the BG is actually the red hill at this location, not sky. It was mid morning on an overcast sky. The sky was a dull grey, so I cropped it out.

Gabriela, thank you for your kind words! I learned most of my PP here on this Forum. Love this month theme, so will go back to the archive to look for images and reprocess them.

Loi

Rachel Hollander
08-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Hi Loi - yes, I realized it was hills and had edited my response to say bg. I still think it has a magenta cast that I would reduce if it were mine.

Andreas Liedmann
08-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Hi Loi , very lovely collection of elephants in the frame .
I like the overall comp with the OOF elephants in the BKG giving a nice depth.I personally like the overall colors , still miss some more punch in the frame . Rp is an improvement i would just push it further .

TFS Andreas

edwardselfe
08-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Hi Loi - your images have a style that could only be yours. I like it. I would like a bit more clarity/lce or contrast. I think this is one of your best from this series of elephant images. So much going on but none of it conflicting with the other elements.
Ed

Loi Nguyen
08-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Hi Rachel, i kind of like the Red in the hill and added more Red in Saturation.

Hi Ed, will look into more contrast, I'm always worried about too much contrast, but in this case, the light was so soft, so adding more contrast could work.

Thank you

Loi

Morkel Erasmus
08-04-2014, 01:41 PM
A nice scene Loi. I agree with the magenta cast - evident in the elephants as well...:e3
I like that the main elephants are nicely "separated" and distinct, even the one on the RHS in the BG.

Loi Nguyen
08-05-2014, 11:35 PM
Hi Everyone, I reworked this image a little

1. Reduced the Red in Saturation back to 0

2. Reduced the magenta on the elies - not sure it made much difference here

3. Increased contrast on the elies - I think the image looks more lively

Hope you will like it better. I'm ready to get a big print for my wife.

Thank you very much!

Loi