PDA

View Full Version : Turk's cap lily

Ron Conlon
08-01-2014, 05:34 PM
I had been eagerly awaiting the opening of the Turk's cap lilies, because they seemed ideal subjects for stacking. The first opened this morning, and I watched it curl back the petals over a few hours before beheading it and bringing it in.

The camera and lens are a departure: the lens is a Minolta 100mm bellows macro adapted to a Panasonic Micro four-thirds GF3. I shot it also with my usual Nikon 200mm, but preferred the stacks from the bellows lens. Getting a remote flash to fire from the consumer camera is a DIY affair of firing the onboard flash to trigger an optical trigger to fire a radio trigger to a Nikon SB28 speedlight--I was quite pleased that it worked.

Tripod, GF3 adapted to a Minolta MD 100mm bellows lens on a bellows, 2 sec delay on the shutter, remote flash in a lightbox, f6.3 1/160s ISO 160
21 images adjusted in ACR, PMax stacked in Zerene, cropped and sharpened in Photoshop.

BenBotha
08-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Amazing sharpness, the stacking worked well. Do the leaves normally all curl to the back? Impressive image.
Ben

Ron Conlon
08-02-2014, 03:51 PM
Thanks, Ben. Yes, the petals curling back is a characteristic. It may actually be a tiger lily rather than a turk's cap, both have the curls.

Arthur Morris
08-02-2014, 08:30 PM
A truly masterful creation. I love the sharpness, the flower, and the black BKGR. The two little leaves on the upper frame edge bug me a bit. That only after I noticed them....

stuart wanuck
08-04-2014, 05:07 PM
splendid stacking made this image so nice

Diane Miller
08-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Just outstanding! But same comment on added black canvas as your later dahlia post. This one is closer to matching tones, though. Being able to see differences in blacks is a good indication of the quality of the monitor and calibration. Some just can't achieve that separation even with the best calibration.