PDA

View Full Version : Theme THEME: Wolves @ the door.

Marc Mol
08-01-2014, 08:54 AM
One from the archives here.

Or in this case it's a clan of laughing assassins.
This poor heavily pregnant female looks toward the camera in a stoic defiant manner as a cauldron of Hyena close in.
All the time never uttering one sound in the 20 mins it took for her misery to end.
One doesn't need to show blood & guts to have impact, an image with out the need for all that implies far more I feel.

A powerful scene very hard to document, one I'll never forget.

D700 70-200 f/2.8 VR1 1/800s f/4 ISO1600@ 200mm.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

shane shacaluga
08-01-2014, 09:26 AM
Couldnt agree with you more, impact is an understatement. Shows how brutal nature can be. I am not sure I could have watched the whole thing to be honest.

Great image and thanks for sharing

Loi Nguyen
08-01-2014, 01:15 PM
The zebra seems to be at peace with herself, no panic, no pain despite the inevitable outcome that she must have known. Great impact image. TFS. Loi

BenBotha
08-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Nature can be very cruel. Well presented. One of the scenes where I want to look and also don't!

Ben

Rachel Hollander
08-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Hi Marc - a tough scene to witness but a definite story telling image. Well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
08-02-2014, 02:19 AM
One of your classic sequences - tough to witness but I can't not watch, it's the cycle of life in Africa. Although hyaenas and wild dogs are particularly ruthless and rough on their prey.
I felt the colour balance could do with a slight tweak - away from magenta and cyan/blue. WDYT?

Marc Mol
08-02-2014, 04:11 AM
Thanks Morkel, it was a heartbreaking moment but one I needed to document,...........the cycle of life for sure.
it was a cool early morning and the colours represented that, but do appreciate the RP.:w3

Andreas Liedmann
08-02-2014, 04:48 AM
Hi Marc indeed a dramatic and unforgettable sighting you witnessed i think. That is how life goes on for wildlife all over the world , eat and become eaten , no need of feeling sorry they all just want to survive in different manners.
I would have stayed till the end and watch/photograph as long as possible.Great that you had none of the Hyena in front of the Zebra , result is a very nice clear view.
For the impact i do see blood :w3, and the colors should be between yours and Morkelīs RP even if you have been there :w3.

A big TFS for posting this.

Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
08-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Gripping action here Marc, and this awakens in me the opposite of watching a pool of still water in a clearing...For some reason I cannot judge this with my usual aesthetic criteria, but the image is a stunning record of animal behaviour that arouses my mind, I am thinking the zebra - at the moment the frame was taken - was barely surviving of its last surge of adrenalin, it's all about escaping death although when pursued by seven or so hyena there's little chance of surviving...Breathtaking action, well done!!!

The two hyenas in front (left and right) seem a bit darker than the rest, not sure what causes this effect and I wonder whether you have an explanation for it, great framing and presentation overall, and perhaps I am wrong but I feel there is maybe a bit too much bright red at the muzzles of the hyenas (even more so in Morkel's RP)... really not sure, just asking, would like to hear what everyone has to say:tinysmile_shy_t:

Kind regards, have a great week-end!

edwardselfe
08-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Brutal moment, but well captured. I also think the blood looks a little vivid on the hyaenas' mouths. It may have been that way but gives an impression of being "photoshopped" slightly. I would have watched too but might have taken few photos.
Ed

Marc Mol
08-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Brutal moment, but well captured. I also think the blood looks a little vivid on the hyaenas' mouths. It may have been that way but gives an impression of being "photoshopped" slightly. I would have watched too but might have taken few photos.
Ed

Thanks Ed & Gabriela (PM sent)

The blood/fur is most certainly not overplayed or saturated, they had already been tucking in to her soft underparts, no need for any more detail noing what hyena's are capable of.

Tobie Schalkwyk
08-06-2014, 01:54 AM
A sad but 'real' moment in life beautifully captured, Marc. Being eaten alive must be a horrendous experience but - that's raw Africa at its best! Compare this with Rachel's thread ('Hyena Cub and Mom') and it's almost difficult to believe that it's the same animal - and that the little cub is only one of these in progress...