PDA

View Full Version : Theme Lost in Migration

Morkel Erasmus
08-01-2014, 06:38 AM
A lone Zebra foal searches for its mother amid the throng of the herds of Wildebeest en route to the Mara river during the Great Migration. I can't wait to return at the end of September!

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f8.0 | 1/1000 SS | ISO-1800

Marc Mol
08-01-2014, 07:03 AM
I wondered when you were going to post this here Morkel, you know I like this one. Nice HK work here.:cheers:

One tiny observation, would have been to have the foal a little less central, not sure if this was possible?

Love the title btw.:w3

Markus Jais
08-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Stunning composition. Great szene. B&W works perfectly in this shot!

Markus

Loi Nguyen
08-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Hi Morkel, great image, good choice of B&W. I have the same thought as Marc with respect to the foal position a bit too central. TFS. Loi

Rachel Hollander
08-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Hi Morkel - this works very well with the isolated foal and then the wbs behind it. I also like the pano and the conversion. It would be interesting to see with the foal in the rule of thirds lower right if you have the space to do it but this works for me as is too. Only thing I might do is burn the ulc slightly as it appears lighter than the rest of the top border.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
08-02-2014, 04:56 AM
Hi Morkel one of the rare occasions when the title just fit so perfect to the image ........... great job on that well thought.

Like the image as is would not change a thing .:5. Good conversion and the tones are looking very nice.

TFS Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
08-02-2014, 02:55 PM
:5:5:5!!!

What can I say, Morkel? This trully moves me. Congratulations, this is one of those images where the landscape shall float before my mind even after I have switched off the computer, one of those moments in nature - so well captured - that should stay with me for some time, and this is what I call a true "spot of time". There is beauty and proportion here and in my mind I see colour in this B/W landscape - love the infinity in that horizon peppered with life, this image is filled with emotion for which I can only find few adequate words, so I repeat myself and say it for the second time: this truly moves me.

Warmest regards,

edwardselfe
08-03-2014, 11:52 AM
A really nice moment, well seen as it must have been a long way off. For me, it's a little too high-key but that's just my taste. Otherwise, perfectly executed.
Ed

Morkel Erasmus
08-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the comments, folks. I'm happy with the placement of the foal...could crop for the "thirds" placement but I prefer the balance of the overall scene/elements as is.

Bill Jobes
08-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Absolutely stunning in every respect, Morkel.

Your artistic vision with regard to the placement of the foal is in total alignment with mine. It doesn't strike me as 'central' in a way that degrades the impact of the photograph.

Indeed it demands to be in its present position, as the foal is 'central' to the story here, even though it is actually right-of-center in your presentation.

I offer that what I choose to call the 'Suggestion of Thirds', while it works often, as we've been conditioned to impose it -- is never mandated and should more often be ignored.

- Bill :S3:

Giovanni Frescura
08-05-2014, 03:36 PM
It is very well done!
I love b/n for wildlife!

Morkel Erasmus
08-14-2014, 04:16 PM
Thanks Bill and Giovanni.