PDA

View Full Version : Elandscape?

edwardselfe
07-31-2014, 02:49 AM
Hi guys - sorry, been away a while on photo safaris. Been catching up on all the great images this morning. My photo safaris gone well - pics here if you fancy a look - http://www.edwardselfephotography.com/news.html

Missed the boat on Animalscapes last month, but wanted to post this from recent photo safari in Luangwa.

Eland are pretty shy here so knew I would be taking a shot of it in its environment (even with a 500 lens!). So tried to find a nice spot where the surroundings worked well with the subject.

EOS 1D4, 500mm f4 @ f5, ISO 800, 1/2500s handheld on foot.

Any comments most welcome.

Thank you.

Ed

Rachel Hollander
07-31-2014, 09:00 AM
Hi Ed - I like this and being on foot really gave you a nice pov. I like the inclusion of the habitat. The tree intersecting the body is unfortunate but given how skittish the eland was it may have been difficult to get it in the clear. I might take a bit off the lhs so that the eland is a bit more off-center. Looking forward to seeing more from your recent safaris.

TFS,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
07-31-2014, 12:31 PM
Hello Edward,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to view and comment on so many of our images in Wildlife!

I like the placement of the subject in the frame, the eland is off centre and framed beautifully by the thorn trees. A very pleasing image with lovely natural colours and the landscape is very inviting (hope to be able to travel to Luangwa one day:w3). Like Rachel said above, great POV and the eland is looking right at you... I am about to go to your website to view your other images - post some more please, from your recent trip! Enjoyed viewing, very much!

Kind regards,

Andreas Liedmann
08-01-2014, 12:49 AM
Hi Ed , good to see you back after you finished your safaris (what a great job must that be , saying this without knowing the problems that comes with a business like yours).Good to hear you had a good time.

A nice starter of this seldom posted antelope.I like the overall image design with the inclusion of the habitat .Lovely detail and sharpness where it counts ,i am ok with the crop and the intersection of the tree , because think it it is difficult to avoid this with such a subject and surroundings.I love the oxpecker on the eland giving a nice little extra.

If this was mine i would knock the blues in the trees(BKG).

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
08-01-2014, 01:45 AM
Hi Ed, nice to see you back and really appreciate you posting on other images too.

Gorgeous image, nice DoF, cracking warm light too! The tree intersecting the subject is unfortunate, but nothing you could do, however what I feel is a nice touch is the OP on the back of the Eland. Nice to have more of the environment/habitat in shot and so the subject not so dominating within frame. Not a deal breaker, but I might have lost the half bush on the RH edge, but the it might be too tight. Nice work, look forward to more when you have the time & connection.

All the best.
Steve

PS Hope you are getting a bit more sleep these days after the new arrival. :w3

Marc Mol
08-01-2014, 04:12 AM
A pleasing ElandScape here Ed, showing that typical Luangwa light, could go either way on the crop suggestion,
the magenta in the trees is just noticeable and an easy fix is so inclined.:w3

I'm wondering if our paths may cross on my next return trip late OCT?

TFS

BenBotha
08-01-2014, 05:25 AM
Lovely light and sharpness. I don't see the magenta cast. Possible slight crop on the RHS. The tree stump-nothing can be done.

Ben

edwardselfe
08-05-2014, 01:19 AM
Thanks guys - most grateful for all your comments. I was particularly interested to see what you said about the crop as I wondered which side to cut to place the eland more off-centre, but didn't want to lose either of the thorn trees. I could cut to half way through each tree (L and R) to keep the bookends but that might leave the eland in the same position in the frame.

Hadn't noticed the magenta - thank you for that. Will reduce slightly.

Will post more from recent safari - it's a great life and business - just need more of them to make it all work out!

Thanks again everyone.

Ed

Shreyas Mantri
08-20-2014, 03:38 PM
Hi Ed, nice shot in great light plus a good sense of environment/habitat here.
Funny how skittish these guys are but glad you got him looking straight.

Cheers
Shreyas

Morkel Erasmus
08-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Missed this - I like it! Good suggestions made above.