PDA

View Full Version : Cayman Brac

Andrew McLachlan
07-29-2014, 08:15 PM
I have not had time to get out for much in the way of new landscape imagery so though I would post another sunrise from my February trip to the Caribbean island of Cayman Brac in the Cayman Islands. I can't wait to return for 2 weeks in March of 2015.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens @ 25mm
ISO 50
f25 2 0.6 sec
Singh Ray 3-stop reverse grad filter

Look forward to comments.

Don Nelson
07-29-2014, 09:43 PM
I like the clouds, color and sunburst. I am less enthusiastic about the pile of rocks at the bottom. To me, the fact that they occupy 2/3 of the area of the frame causes my eyes to land on them in spite of the other elements.
Have you given any consideration to a panorama with a crop of half the rocks out of the frame? (and did you know you can post at 1200 wide, not just 1000 pixels)?
My tastes are to crop something like this:

Don Railton
07-29-2014, 11:17 PM
Hi Andrew

What a spectacular sunburst peeping over the clouds..! I Like the reflection in that water and the cloud formation close to the horizon. It says 'tropical' to me.. I agree with Don regarding the rocks and prefer his crop, I also think the foreground rocks have been lightened a wee bit too much and lost a bit of their colour depth...

regards

DON

Don Nelson
07-30-2014, 12:47 AM
Don
I didn't touch any details in the photo except to crop. We you referring to the original post?
Don

Don Railton
07-30-2014, 07:24 AM
Hi Don, yes I was referring to the OP.

Diane Miller
07-30-2014, 11:24 AM
I'm torn between the 2 crops. I appreciate the wide-angle FG of the OP. Maybe a slight gradient burn from the bottom would help keep the eye from landing there, on the very interesting detail.

I do love the tropical atmosphere here, with gorgeous soft color!

Andrew McLachlan
07-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the comments folks, much appreciated. I can always try a pano here in 2015 :S3: as this rock pile is on the beach at the villa that I rent during my stay on the island. I will need to have a look at the RAW capture but I do believe that I did not lighten the rocks...they would likely appear slightly brighter as a result of the 3-stop reverse grad, in which case I will try applying Diane's suggestion.

Don, I keep my posts at 1000 pixels to simplify and minimize the work I need to do preparing my photos for use on the web.

Diane Miller
07-30-2014, 08:32 PM
Are you Lightroom user? One click (after saving a preset) outputs a JPEG from any file in your LR catalog for BPN use. (Well, if it's a very detailed shot, you may need to increase the JPEG compression and hit the button again.)

Arthur Morris
08-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Here is one vote for the original crop. With the repost the left pointing triangle that adds power to the image design is missing. I like the colors and the starburst of course.

Andrew McLachlan
08-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the additional comments Diane and Arthur, they are much appreciated.
Diane, I use CS6 and an assortment of plug-ins for all my processing needs at this point in time.

Morkel Erasmus
08-04-2014, 02:48 PM
I too prefer the OP crop/comp. Great light and colours Andrew. I would tone down the highlights in the midtones on the rock to make them look a bit less "HDR'ed"...

Andrew McLachlan
08-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Thanks Morkel....much appreciated.

Dave Spates
08-23-2014, 07:31 PM
I really like the OP. The rocks in this are wonderful, soft waves, and sun peaking through the clouds makes this a spectacular image in my opinion.