PDA

View Full Version : The joy of a pond in the backyard

Randy Stout
07-26-2014, 06:56 PM
I have a small pond in my backyard, and when thinking about things, often look out my office window to see what is happening there. I was struck by this emerging water lily and tried to capture the soft light, repeating petal patterns and the promise of an opening flower.

D4 80-400AFS, f/8 , ISO 640 , tripod

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Ron Conlon
07-27-2014, 10:39 AM
If available, compositions with the bloom higher or lower in the frame might work as well or better. Perhaps bringing up the dark end with a curve might work.

Allen Sparks
07-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Hi Randy, lovely specimen you have grown here. I can see that you did not want to crop through the pad at the top of the image. I think this is a fine image but would also be interested in a version as Ron suggests perhaps cropping through the middle of the top pad and raising the darks a little.

Allen

Diane Miller
07-27-2014, 10:47 PM
So Zen-like! Wonder if you can bring up the exposure on mid-tones a little and hold down the whites? But this is an image I'd be proud of as is!

Suggested crop could work.

Randy Stout
07-28-2014, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated. I wouldn't crop off the top without adding a bit more below, a bit too square for my taste otherwise. However, I do have a bit more below, so will try a version that way.

I rather liked the darker tones of the leaves, with the whites of the flower popping out, but could certainly do a version with the midtones brought up a bit.

Thanks so much!

Randy

Sandy Witvoet
07-28-2014, 04:57 PM
Stunning, Randy! JIMHO, but I wouldn't crop anything off the top. When I do a scroll down crop, less on the bottom worked better for me (and maybe a tad off the left).... the flower looks to be "stretching" toward the sky, so you did well giving it the room to do so. Love how you brought out the delicate pinks at the base, which we seldom notice. Very beautiful.

Steve Maxson
07-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Hi Randy. You have some very interesting suggestions above to explore and experiment with. Very nice detail in the whites and the water on top of the pads adds interest. I like the moody, rather dark lighting on this and the comp, as presented. I expect I would also like a brighter version with an alternate crop. You have a number of viable options for alternative presentations of this image and in the end, I think it boils down to personal taste. :S3: