PDA

View Full Version : Flap & Twist - common loon shaking it

Randy Stout
07-26-2014, 06:38 PM
The fellow was imaged in June in northern Michigan. I was set up for a group of loons, with small f/stop and associated slower shutter speed. Then this bird gave me a nice flap and shake.

Sometimes some motion blur can help tell the story, sense of action. What do you think about this one?

D4 600VR TC-14eII f/11 1/250 sec ISO 500 pedestal mounted in the bottom of my little boat, Loonie TOO!

Advice and comments always appreciated!

Cheers

Randy

Joseph Przybyla
07-26-2014, 07:35 PM
I like it. Beautiful bird, very interesting pose.

Marina Scarr
07-26-2014, 07:50 PM
This is a pretty special and unusual image, Randy. Love the behavior and the movement you were able to capture. The color palette is very pleasing.

Karl Egressy
07-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Nice shot I really like this pose, Randy. I also like the nice background and the low shooting angle.

Binu John
07-26-2014, 10:35 PM
Superb action shot, Randy! Excellent action, BG, POV and colors!

gail bisson
07-27-2014, 06:59 AM
A nice image of the back view of the loon. You have been able to show the beautiful feather pattern very well.
I like the view of the brownish feathers which I have never seen before.
Nice BG and good PP work with the canvas extension.
Gail

Stu Bowie
07-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Hi Randy, I like the detail and colour of the outstretched wings, and the loon pops nicely against the distant BG. Im surprised you didnt have more motion blur with such a slow SS.

Randy Stout
07-27-2014, 11:27 AM
Thanks everyone, appreciate your input.

Stuart - got lucky and captured him at the apex of the flap and twist, so just a momentary pause as he reversed direction. I would like to think it was from all the time I have spent watching them, but really just good fortune on my part.
Being able to quickly frame it and not clip anything with 850mm, experience helped a bit there. :S3:

Cheers

Randy

Sandy Witvoet
07-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Beautiful capture of action as well as all the incredible feather patterns and detail. BG and FG are great. The head-shake is really cool since it really shows motion.... excellent work at that SS.... the only (very tiny) items: If I didn't know what the Loon was doing, I would wonder what the sprayed water droplets actually were... would have liked to see a bit more eye too. You showed off the majesty of a wing flap (from the BACK!) in fine form. As always, super well done.