PDA

View Full Version : Greater Kestrell with dune/sky background

Richard Flack
07-24-2014, 11:22 AM

Greater Kestrel

I came across this beautiful kestrel on an early morning game drive across one of the dune roads in the Kgalagadi. I liked the unique BG the dune and sky gave to this image.

Date taken: 16 June 2013
Photo details:
ISO 640
Shutter speed 1/2000
F stop 6.3
Exposure bias 0
Sharpened for web

keith mitchell
07-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Richard I like the puffed up relaxed pose of this fine looking Falcon, it,s a pity that the branch cuts through the tail but that's the way it is sometimes, nice soft hue in the BG,I would be vey pleased to have this image.

Keith.

Shawn Zierman
07-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Great light quality, pleasing eye level for a perched raptor image...exposure is well handled, especially in regards to the branches which can look hot very easily when worn like this without bark...beautiful little falcon with a nice puffed up pose.

Bill Dix
07-24-2014, 05:14 PM
Sweet. Love the bird, pose, perch and background. Techs look great. I don't mind the twig across the tail at all. I could have imagined just the tiniest bit more space on the left, equally tiny bit off the right. But that's a nit and personal preference. A fine image.

Doug Brown
07-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Excellent sharpness and a nice exposure. I'd like the head angle slightly towards us, and I would prefer that the branch didn't pass in front of the tail feathers.

Paul Kusmin
07-24-2014, 06:50 PM
really nice image, the BG is sublime, the perch is so great it's ok that it crosses the tail a bit.
did you get any shots of it's head turned a bit more?

Karl Egressy
07-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Beautiful raptor in great light. Nice pose and background.

David Salem
07-25-2014, 09:04 PM
Nice sharp frame Richard. I like the two tone BG and the overall colors and exposure. I dont mind the tail being covered so much but it would have been great to get a little look at the camera, next time ;)

Ishmeet Sahni
07-25-2014, 09:54 PM
Richard, I agree with you the BG is amazing. I agree with Keith, I too wish the branch wasn't cutting across the tail, but we never get everything we want.
To me personally the HA works. A beauty of an image.

Petros Petrou
07-25-2014, 11:49 PM
You have a very nice image here Richard of this female individual. Light looks great, detail also and the perch has character. I do not mind the tree branch intersecting the tail. I would leave just a bit more space to the left so that the edge of the last tree brach (up left) was in the frame. The HA is not perfect but I think that in this frame works as it shows the falcon overlooking her area. TFS

Richard Flack
07-26-2014, 09:38 AM
Thanks so much for all the comments! I appreciate each of you taking the time. I will post another image as soon as I have chance.. with what may be a better HA and will take into consideration spacing. :) Thanks again!