PDA

View Full Version : Seals or Sea Lions in Orange County Area?

Brian Kersey
05-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Another where-to? thread... Thanks for the help finding the Oystercatchers last time guys, now I want to get some great shots of seals or sea lions. What is the closest location to the Orange County area to get some good shots of this subject with a 400mm lens being my longest? I would like to avoid fishing docks, I prefer a sandy beach area or something. Thanks.

Brian Kersey

Steve Metildi
05-26-2008, 01:29 AM
I don't know of any good spots to photograph seals/sea lions in Orange County, CA. They hang out on the large rocks off Laguna Beach but it's far out of camera range, even a 600mm. They also are off Newport Beach but it's mainly on buoys, etc. The closest place would probably be La Jolla in San Diego where they are almost always on the beach or about four hours north at Piedras Blancas/San Simeon where Elephant Seals winter each year.

Steve

Bob Allen
06-01-2008, 09:02 AM
I must agree with Steve. There are no really good places to see them here in OC, CA, though sometimes they are on the southern-most jetty rocks in Dana Point harbor, not far from the bait barge. The children's beach in La Jolla is the best place to see them. They're also on buoys out of Long Beach, and in/out of the water in Santa Barbara pier, and even better in Avila Beach (though inconsistent).