PDA

View Full Version : Blue Basin

dankearl
07-23-2014, 11:03 PM
A little visited fossil bed in the middle of no where in Eastern Oregon.
Yes, the colors are real.

f11, iso200, 1/100, 14mm (Rokinon manual lens), D800, Handheld, no filters
PP in Camera Raw, PS CS6, downsized and finished in NX2

002_8999ps.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=143193&stc=1&d=1406174423)

Don Railton
07-23-2014, 11:26 PM
Interesting Country Dan.. and lots of fine detail visible. Well done. Is that a sharpening halo on the skyline center of frame or is it just the light coming in from the right lighting up the rim ?

DON

David Stephens
07-24-2014, 03:30 PM
Love those colors Dan, particularly the corroded copper green. It's neat when you come upon a scene so unreal that you have to declare, "It's real." I believe you. The foreground detail and huge DOF give the eye much to explore. The colors through the middle are so strong that they grabbed my eye first, but then they went down to the foreground (full of detail and browns not in the middle) and then my eye moved through the image to the sky. I don't know how much work you had to do, but I like the balance between the left in the direct light and the right in shadow.

Is there copper in that area, or does something else cause that beautiful green?

Morkel Erasmus
07-29-2014, 05:18 PM
A very interesting scene and colour palette here, Dan.
I felt it could use a few tweaks - and I may have pushed it a little too far here but you should get the idea of where I was headed.
In this repost I ran one 30% multiplied highlights luminosity layer, followed by some light burning of the shadows of the foreground/midground and light dodging of highlights of the same areas. There's a definite edge/halo along the ridge where the land meets the sky, perhaps the result of selective adjustments or even a blending operation??

Andrew McLachlan
07-29-2014, 07:44 PM
Nice scene Dan - Morkel's repost works better for me - I'm sure it is the lines in the hills creating an optical illusion but I feel it needs a very slight clockwise rotation. Those greens are pretty wild considering they are natural.