PDA

View Full Version : Acorn Woodpecker

Paul Kusmin
07-22-2014, 05:47 PM

Here's another shot from my recent Costa Rica trip.
Same location as Flame-colored Tanager.

D7100, 500mm f4 AFS-I, f/5.6, 500mm, 1/320, ISO 800, natural light, tripod.

restaurant feeder (rice) set up out back.

gail bisson
07-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Hi Paul,
This is a lovely image.
Great HA and the details in the darker plumage are excellent. The diagonal line created by the tree is very nice as is the little bit of lichen. Nothing overwhelms the bird.
Great look at the tail and the feet really make this image a keeper.
Did you know that the posting sizes for images on BPN changed last year? You can now post 1200 x 900 and max file size of 400KB.
Would love to see this nice shot in the bigger size!
Gail
PS. What kind of bird is that on your avatar?

Karl Egressy
07-22-2014, 06:09 PM
Great looking Woodpecker, Paul.
Excellent pose, head turn eye contact. Nice details.
The very top of the red head is blown, not much can be done about it.
The rest of the red can be toned down.
I would also give an extra round of sharpening only to the head.
Also more room at the top and bottom would work, if you have it.
Overall it is a great image.

Raymond Lee
07-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Great capture! Nice detail, HA and, pose. I would like to see more room around the bird; it felt a bit tight to me.

Paul Kusmin
07-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Thanks all, these birds were coming in a bit closer than i would have preferred with the 500mm and i agree, a bit more space around would have been optimal.
PS Gail, my avatar is a King Vulture, from same trip.

Geoffrey Montagu
07-22-2014, 08:48 PM
A beautiful bird and image, Paul. Nice soft light and great detail as mentioned above, especially in the darks. Like the perch. Would also like to see the crop opened a bit more if you have room. Personal preference.

Geoffrey

Marina Scarr
07-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Truly a killer WP shot with so much feather details perfect exposure of your blacks. Agree on more space. Really like the pose on the bird with its head and tail both pointed toward the viewer.

Shawn Zierman
07-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Killer perch. Great subject pose. +1 to more room for the composition to breath, most noteably on the top of the frame. Backing off slightly from the perch to gain more DOF would have been ideal here...maybe just a couple of feet...Exposure work looks excellent to me. The face could surely benefit from a little more selective sharpening.

Daniel Cadieux
07-23-2014, 09:47 AM
Apart from more room needed for the comp this is a really well done woodpecker image. Perch, BG, colours, head angle all look good. I would be tempted to just slightly darken the brighter parts of the perch though.

Joe Senzatimore
07-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Yes , just a bit more room , but a beautiful image non the less.

Satish Ranadive
07-28-2014, 02:03 AM
Spectacular image.

Regards,
Satish.