PDA

View Full Version : Mantisfly

Steve Maxson
07-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Mantisflies are neither mantis nor fly, but rather are related to lacewings. This one is likely Climaciella brunnea and is a striking mimic of a paper wasp (Polistes sp.) They are predators and capture smaller insects with their mantis-like front legs. This one posed nicely in my lightbox. 1D-IV, 100 mm macro, 1/160, f/16, ISO 100, lightbox studio, 2 radio-triggered 430 EXII flashes, hand held. The background is a print of OOF vegetation. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

MiroslavMaric
07-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Hi Steve,

I like the vibrant green color and tone of BG, both well matched with subject. The insect is in a good position and the body is sharp. Even the eye contact is hear. This is great macro shot! TFS.
Cheers!
Miro

Jonathan Ashton
07-22-2014, 04:43 PM
What a truly amazing piece of biomechanical engineering super colours exposure and sharpness. I could hope for the forelegs to have been extended a little but this is an amazing image. Is this in the USA or some other exotic location?

Steve Maxson
07-22-2014, 06:52 PM
Thanks Miroslav and Jon!

Jon: This was photographed in northern Minnesota, USA. These are uncommon here and I don't find them every year. It is actually rather unusual to see one with it leg(s) partially extended like this. Most often they look like a wasp with an odd lump under its neck where the front legs are tucked up tight. :S3:

Ron Conlon
07-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Everything works on this. A form of life I didn't know existed, beautifully presented. Wow!

John Robinson
07-24-2014, 05:38 PM
Great insect and a great pic of it . What a wierdo !!
John

stuart wanuck
07-29-2014, 12:52 PM
Great image can you describe the light box thanks
And where to purchase

Steve Maxson
07-29-2014, 03:32 PM
Thanks Ron, John, and Stuart!

Stuart: The lightbox is a do-it-yourself setup. By coincidence, an article I wrote describing my current setup was just published on another photo sharing website having the initials N.S. :S3: