PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Sunset from I-81

Wendy Kates
07-21-2014, 09:42 PM
We were driving north on I-81 from NYC to Syracuse, through intermittent rainstorms, while the sun was setting. The setting sun and blue sky peeking through the storm clouds made for a very dramatic sky, and the mist in the hills added to the effect. So of course we had to pull over to the side of the road so I could photograph this!

I applied a cooling filter in PS to enhance the blues and magenta, and CEP's detail extractor and brilliance / warmth filters to enhance the overall scene. Finally, I added the texturizer filter from PS, to make it more painterly, although it may have muted the overall effect.

Comments welcome.

Wendy Kates
07-21-2014, 09:55 PM
On second thought, I think I like the non-textured image better...

Anita Bower
07-22-2014, 08:10 AM
I'm with you, Wendy, in preferring the non-textured version. It allows me to see the fog in the valley, the soft clouds below the longer ones, the barn, the meadows. I like that it is colorful, yet soft. Nice composition. What do you think of cropping a bit from the top?

Cheryl Slechta
07-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Hi, Wendy, I agree with Anita - I like the second version better and would recommend a crop from the top.:S3:

Diane Miller
07-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Nice scene, and I also prefer it without the texture. The post below this one, of Kerry's heron, is a perfect example of what a texture should be -- something that adds to the image. But these uniform grain- or paper-like textures, especially if applied globally, rarely give me that feeling.

Paul Lagasi
07-23-2014, 10:00 PM
My vote goes for second image and I agree on a small crop from top....lovely scene, well done

Hazel Grant
07-24-2014, 06:02 AM
Looks unanimous re texture and crop. The mist is a plus.

Jackie Schuknecht
07-24-2014, 05:25 PM
Like the pano crop and the almost electric blue of the clouds. Great landscape.

Nancy Bell
07-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Just got back from my Newfoundland trip and now have the time to view the OOTB images. I'll add my vote for the 2nd image without the textures. That fog layer between the trees and horizon makes this image special. Plus it provides an even bkgd to allow the details of the silhouetted trees to be easily seen and thus provide a very interesting base layer. Beautiful composition with all the horizontal layers and gradations of soft colors. Good choice in enhancing the blues and magentas and letting the other colors recede. Also agree with a slight crop from the top. Well seen and captured!

Wendy Kates
07-25-2014, 10:26 PM
Thank you, everyone, for your helpful input. Here is the image with more cropped off the top, as you suggested.