PDA

View Full Version : Elephant and Boat

Morkel Erasmus
07-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Just a fun shot, to show Nick Clayton that it's not only marine mammals that can be photo-bombed by a boat :w3.
Taken on the Chobe river between Botswana and Namibia, the houseboat you see is actually our base for the safari - and it's moored directly across from "Elephant Bay" which is where this kind of action goes on most days all day long. You get to sleep, eat and live on the Chobe river for a few days, an experience any wildlife enthusiast needs to add to their bucket list...
Photo taken from the small photograph boat that we trawl along behind the houseboat and use for most of the photography.

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f5.6 | 1/1600 SS | ISO-500

nick clayton
07-21-2014, 05:11 PM
What a privilege to stay in a boat and view this kind of action on your doorstep, a beautiful image Morkel. I can report unfortunately there were no Elephants in the sea around the Farne Islands. :bg3:

Morkel Erasmus
07-21-2014, 05:29 PM
I can report unfortunately there were no Elephants in the sea around the Farne Islands. :bg3:

Darnit! You may actually get to see an elephant cooling off in the Atlantic on the coast of Gabon in central Africa where the jungle meets the ocean...:eek3:

Rachel Hollander
07-21-2014, 06:52 PM
Hi Morkel - definitely a fun image. I think you should have called it "Periscope Up!' I love the raised trunk and visible tusk. Must be great to spend a couple of days on the boat.

TFS,
Rachel

Tobie Schalkwyk
07-22-2014, 02:22 AM
Beautiful, Morkel! Just enough detail of the boat to sketch the scene and fill any wildlife photographer with envy! :w3

Nice moment captured!

Steve Kaluski
07-22-2014, 02:23 AM
Certainly the boat gives a nice low perspective, but having the houseboat in view is not ideal. Do you have any with the elephant facing you rather than looking away? Like the raised trunk and cascading water. Light looks harsh so nice control of the highlights.

TFS
Steve

Tobie Schalkwyk
07-22-2014, 02:48 AM
<snip> having the houseboat in view is not ideal. <snip>

FWIW: Interesting view, Steve. Without any disrespect intended (opinions are what they are and we're all different): I actually sighed a sigh of relief when I saw something different from BPN's usual 'portrait rut'. A fun pic, not a factual 'formal' setup. I simply love the composition! :t3</snip></snip>

Marc Mol
07-22-2014, 03:01 AM
Agree the boat in the BG is not "ideal" as a wildlife image, but do agree with Tobie, as a fun image it makes your submission a nice one. Plus someting a little different. :w3
Just a great way to enjoy wildlife in their habitat on this beautiful river.

Andreas Liedmann
07-22-2014, 05:28 AM
Hi Morkel seeing this as a fun image is fine . I quite like the pose of the elephant , but would have been way better facing the viewer .Nice low POV and comp.
Overall i feel colors are a bit cool for my taste , specially in the elephant and the boat .

TFS Andreas

Douglas Bolt
07-22-2014, 10:21 AM
I like to houseboat in the image. In addition to being a great ad for a Chobe safari, it tells an appealing story with a bit of humor and style.

Gabriela Plesea
07-23-2014, 01:44 PM
Indeed a fun image and again the thought of a postcard comes to mind:bg3:, I am tempted to clone out the man-made elements for a different look, otherwise a very cool shot and I don't mind the ellie facing the other way, I guess he or she was showing off for the passengers on the houseboat:w3 Love the water droplets and the pose of the subject, well captured and processed Morkel!!!

Warmest regards,

Morkel Erasmus
08-05-2014, 05:25 AM
Thanks for chipping in, guys and girls...