PDA

View Full Version : Steptoe Butte, Palouse

Cheryl Slechta
07-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Hi, folks, I went to the Palouse in early June and what a gorgeous part of the country! Amazing countryside, old barns and all the people we met were so friendly. This is pretty much straight out of the camera - a little structure added and slight smart sharpen in PS. I know the barn isn't in the greatest location for the shot but I liked the line of vegetation to the lower right and wanted to keep that part.
Comments and suggestions appreciated.:S3:

Canon 5DMarkIII, Canon 100-400mm @ 250mm, f/13, 1/160 sec., ISO 200

Don Railton
07-21-2014, 11:23 PM
Hi Cheryl..

This is quite beautiful.. I love those rolling hills and the light and shadow that creates...its really beautiful. I agree that the homestead would be better a little more of center although its not too bad as it is IMHO. I might consider cropping a little off the top to just below that row of power poles in the distance and adding a bit more contrast in a gradient from the top down. Wonderful image, thanks for showing..

DON

David Stephens
07-22-2014, 12:10 PM
Wonderful colors and depth. I like the homestead right where it is, anchored on the bottom of the middle third, allowing the graduated haze to emphasize the depth of the field of view. The variable light and rolling hills add greatly to the interest. I wouldn't change a thing, other than hang it on my wall.

Daniel Cadieux
07-23-2014, 10:47 AM
I really like the play of light and shadows on the hills, and I am OK with placement of the house as is. I also love the road leading to it at left. Such a tranquil image, Don't you love the versatility of that lens!

Cheryl Slechta
07-23-2014, 06:23 PM
Hi, Daniel, I do love it - versatile for sure.:S3: Here's a version with a little bit cropped off the top and a little bit of contrast added up there. The far away hills seem to have a hazy look to them so I didn't want to stray too far away from what it really looked like. Thanks for the comments.

I really like the play of light and shadows on the hills, and I am OK with placement of the house as is. I also love the road leading to it at left. Such a tranquil image, Don't you love the versatility of that lens!

dankearl
07-23-2014, 10:20 PM
I was going to suggest a bit of added contrast and then you reposted.
Perfect.....
Beautiful scene, nice work.

Morkel Erasmus
07-29-2014, 05:20 PM
I agree that the repost nails it, Cheryl. My first thought was that it needed a bit more "punch".
You could actually tone overall highlights/luminosity down a tad further - just an option. Lovely scene!

Andrew McLachlan
07-29-2014, 07:34 PM
Hi Cheryl, this is a lovely scene and comp. I like the comp as is in the OP and the increased contrast in the repost works for me. I love the rolling terrain in the images each of you created from Palouse. Wonderful work!

Arthur Morris
08-03-2014, 06:57 PM
I like the image and the Palouse. The farmhouse in the middle bugs me but not as much as I thought it would from the JPEG. A bit darker with maybe lots more vibrance might be worth exploring....