PDA

View Full Version : Secreatary bird duet - early morning in the Kgalagadi

Richard Flack
07-21-2014, 11:44 AM

There were great numbers of these threatened birds in the Kgalagadi this year. Was awesome to spend some time with them. Captured these two at first light. Look forward to your comments.

Date taken: 13 June 2013
Photo details:
ISO 640
Shutter speed 1/1000
F stop 6.3
Exposure bias +0.3
Very small crop, sharpened for web

gail bisson
07-21-2014, 02:49 PM
What a wonderful opportunity to see these awesome birds up close!
Love those pantaloons.
I have never been a fan of OOF birds in the BG so I am waiting for you to post an image with only one bird in it!:w3
Also, with this comp I wish for more room on the left,
Gail

David Salem
07-22-2014, 10:11 PM
I have had a thing for these cool raptors since I was a kid. They are awesome creations of nature and an ultra specialized predator. I like the close look at this bird but the light angle isnt the best, lots of shadows. I know it may not be that easy to move around these birds to get the angle right but keep on trying and keeping that in mind, it's the most important part to a good shot IMHO. The OOF bird doesn't add to the image IMO. Good job even getting close to one of these cool birds.

Richard Flack
07-22-2014, 11:51 PM
Thanks so much for the comments Gail and Dave! I hear what you say about the oof bird and the shadows. The good thing is I have photographs without the oof but unfortunately I could not change the angle of shooting as I was confined to a car and the road network. I will just keep on trying.... and yah Dave they are super cool raptors

Richard Flack
07-24-2014, 11:32 AM

Here we go Gail, no OOF (unfortunately still shadows though)... will keep trying :)