PDA

View Full Version : Unwelcome Visitor

Norm Dulak
07-19-2014, 07:38 AM
Canon PowerShot S90
ISO 250; f/7.1, 1/125 sec.
CS6 adjustments, crop, and sharpen

We have some tomato plants in a flower garden by our swimming pool. This Tomato Hornworm evidently enjoyed dining on one of the tomatoes. We'll keep an eye on it and relocate it if necessary. But we won't harm it, because it is destined to become a beautiful hawkmoth (Manduca quinquemaculata).

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Norm

Ron Conlon
07-20-2014, 11:49 AM
I am wishing for some greater variety of color, but the interest is good.

MiroslavMaric
07-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Hi Norm,

Thanks for sharing this photo and story. I have no experience with this caterpillar, so the photo looks very interesting. Like the captured moment. I'm glad you take care about the caterpillar. TFS. Cheers! Miro

Jonathan Ashton
07-21-2014, 03:49 AM
Good shot clean and sharp, I know these guys don't always obey when instructed but if the opportunity were to represent itself I would try a more lateral view to show the head tails and feet.

Norm Dulak
07-21-2014, 06:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. Jon, I tried to get a more lateral view, as this image shows. But I couldn't see the critter's head here. Sorry!

Steve Maxson
07-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Hi Norm. Glad to hear of your live and let live attitude - not everyone would be so tolerant. :S3: Given the position of the caterpillar and the tomato, I'm very impressed with the amount of DOF you achieved. I might suggest that you tone down some of the bright spots in the background, but overall, this is very well done!

Norm Dulak
07-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Thanks, Steve. I always look forward to and appreciate your comments. And my signature quote by Albert Einstein pretty well expresses my attitude toward things like the caterpillar.