PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice....

Allen Leuken
07-19-2014, 07:14 AM
Which is the best technique for capturing birds – Handheld shooting and accessory like tripod or monopod?
Tripods are the most difficult accessories to set up; it takes time and effort to properly set up the tripod for shooting birds. And this significantly decreases your chances of getting the shot at all, but if you manage to get them then there is no comparing the image quality, especially so in low light conditions. Tripods are simply the most stable platforms for camera.
Monopods are much easier to carry around and use than tripods, but they are not that stable, however they could be help you support the weight of your equipment when you need to hold the bird in focus for a long duration.
I am confused what i should Purchase. My budget is also not very high. One of my friend given me two options for tripod, price is perfect according to my budget and quality wise seems good - one Carbon Fiber (http://www.flycamdslr.com/hdvs/proaim-75mm-bowl-head-carbon-fiber-tripod-stand-cf-75-with-free-fluid-head-and-spreader.html)tripod and aluminum (http://www.flycamdslr.com/hdvs/proaim-75mm-bowl-tripod-stand-p-bw-75-with-tilt-head--complimentary-spreader.html)tripod. Carbon Fiber is lightweight and also perfect for travelling purpose; aluminum is more stable and solid.

Can anyone recommend me right equipment for birds photography?
Thanks in advance..

Stratos Diakoniarakis
07-19-2014, 10:21 AM
I think a lot of it depends on what lens you're using, the size of it. If the lens is a couple of pounds like my 400mm f/5.6 I'd hand hold it, unless it has no IS and there's poor light. If the lens is in the 5 lb range like the 300 f/2.8 or even heavier (15 lbs) you might want support but that depends on what you're comfortable with and what you can endure. The Birds as Art store sells excellent Gitzo tripods, but they might be out of your price range. Still, check it out at https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=13
But keep in mind you're also going to need to spend more money on a Mongoose or Wimberly head so that you can effortlessly swivel that lens around and not miss any shots. You can see them mentioned (along with links) at Mr. Morris' blog post here: http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/

From what I understand, you can't go wrong with Gitzo.

There's also cheaper options like a monopod or other companies like Manfrotto, etc. But it's better to buy something that should last forever then a cheaper item that might not. I know those who have used all these things will give better advice, but this is the research I've done. Anyway, good luck!

arash_hazeghi
07-19-2014, 07:14 PM
It depends on many factors such as your age, health, strength and the weight of your rig. you don't mention what kind of equipment you have

Handhold is preferable because you can point your lens at any direction instantly allowing you to track action and fast subjects. If you don't have physical limitations, I would recommend working on your handhold technique and getting use to it.

If you cannot handhold I would go for a gitzo CF tripod. CF is much lighter and stronger than Al. I never found a monopod usable for bird photography.

Good luck.

David Stephens
07-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Like Arash says, hand hold if you can. Both the tripod and hand held has a learning curve, so, if you have the strength, start with handholding. If not, then go with CF. There are some good alternatives to Gitzo, such as the top end Induros.

Tom Jenkins
07-22-2014, 10:30 AM
I use a Canon 400/5.6, a relatively small & light lens, and normally hand hold it. I sometimes use a tripod or monopod, mainly if conditions require a slow (less than 1/500, or even 1/1000) shutter speed. I've found the monopod generally easy and effective to use, and have had good non-flight results as low as 1/100.

For the tripod, I use a Slick 700dx that I found on ebay for about $50. This is a solid tripod, certainly adequate my 400, with a Beike gimble head, found on ebay for around $90 new (this head is rebranded and sold by Enduro for around $150.) This rig is fine, and structurally secure, for the lens I have. I would probably upgrade if I were using it more frequently, and certainly if I were to move to a heavier lens.

Jonathan Ashton
07-29-2014, 02:16 PM
For what it is worth I use handhold, tripod and monopod. If it is practicable for you then handheld is liberating, in general more flexible and can be quicker/more convenient/portable. Practice practice practice.
I am not being sarcastic here but I try to keep up some regular weight training for general health and it helps considerably when handholding long lenses and heavy bodies, I rarely get fatigued as a consequence.
The tripod is of course steadier and provided you can follow the subject it is great. I shelled out for a Gitzo and have a mongoose head - would not swap it for a gold pig. As always price comes into it.
The monopod I have found in general to be not so good unless you can fit a gimbal or an equivalently flexible head.