PDA

View Full Version : Bee!

Ramon M. Casares
05-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi there! First of all, THANK YOU ALL for you kind and constructive comments, they are all very well recieved and apreciated!!
Today I'd like to share another macro shot, in this case of a simple Bee.
What do you think about the Black BG? It would've been better to try a green one? I like it black because the whole picture looks more shocking and I think it compliments the light, but of course, the black BG doesn't feel very natural.. I don't know... let me know your thoughts.. Well, Enjoy!

Xt + 100mm macro + 2 flashes + no tripod + full frame + controled enviroment. (the Bee was release unharmed after the shooting!

Tv 1/200
Av f20
Iso 200

Have a nice day!

Julie Kenward
05-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Fabulous detail Ramone! I like the black for dramatic effect but you're right...it makes the whole thing look staged to some degree. I'd say if you were trying to create a dramatic or fine art type of image, you succeeded. If, however, you were going for a more "in the field" feel, trying a brown or green background would really have a dramatic effect as well.

Your lighting on this is totally cool!

Oscar Zangroniz
05-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Excellent Ramon, I too love the black background, and the details as Julie pointed out are exceptional.
A Big Congrats on this one.
Regards,

John Cooper
05-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Hi Ramon, I love your back-lighting here and the exceptional detail. Its true that the black BG emphasizes this lighting/high-detail image, but equally true that it has an undesirable nocturnal feel. But I wish it was mine ;)

Harold Davis
05-21-2008, 04:34 AM
i like the black bg. very dramatic and really makes the bee pop! love the detail in the bee also. the only thing i may would do different is to add a little canvas to the left side of the frame. feels a little too tight there. another great image, ramon.

Gus Cobos
05-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Great detail Ramon,
My only suggestion is to not have the blade of grass intersecting the corners of your frame...:( on the lower right side. It would be more appealing if it were coming out above the intersecting point or to the left on the lower portion of your frame...:cool:

Roman Kurywczak
05-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Hi Ramon,
From the above comments........I see people have been paying attention! Julie was right on! (I do like black).........and Harold's recommendation for a little more room behind rear leg is also excellent. Super details! Keep them coming!

Alfred Forns
05-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Agree with the little extra room Like seeing some around the main subject (in most cases) Also like the dramatic bg

I like the ample dof and overall sharpness Did you use a diffuser over the flashes? Looking good !!!!!

Fabs Forns
05-21-2008, 01:56 PM
The rim light makes this one very special, and the detail is also excellent!
Enhorabuena :)

Robert O'Toole
05-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Lighting is different and sucessful I think. Details and sharpness are great. Dark gray makes the rim lit hairs really stand out.

I would try a version with the image flipped vertically. I think it would look more normal as I am used to seeing bees hanging for than facing downwards.

Good work,

Robert

adcolon
05-22-2008, 04:30 AM
I like it a lot and use it. Black backgrounds are the natural result of in-the-field photography using macro flash. It isolates the subject and makes it stand out in a striking manner. Another background would require natural light, if possible, which I find impossible, or more flashes or moving the subject closer to another object like a leaf, which would be manipulating the photo or loosing your subject.

Robert O'Toole
05-22-2008, 10:00 AM
I like it a lot and use it. Black backgrounds are the natural result of in-the-field photography using macro flash.

Wrong.
Black backgrounds created when ambient light is present are the natural result of incorrect use of flash. That is not balancing your flash with the ambient light.

This image by Ramon looks great because the BG enhances the image and makes the rim lighting stand out. Black BGs in macro flash images in the field during the day are totally different and should be confused as such.

All of my Macro images are in-the-field photography using macro flash and none have black backgrounds.
Ramon's great Wasp image uses Macro flash and doesnt have a black BG. Images taken in-the-field in a natural environment during the day with a black background just means the flash overpowered the ambient light forcing the BG to go black.

It isolates the subject and makes it stand out in a striking manner. Another background would require natural light, if possible, which I find impossible, or more flashes or moving the subject closer to another object like a leaf, which would be manipulating the photo or loosing your subject.

If the natural BG goes black the flash is too powerful. Turning the flash power down takes care of this by balancing the light.
You do need more than one small flash. I use a tiny 3 x 2 in, 4 oz SB-R200 flash at 1/4-1/8th power and never have problems with black BGs. You dont have to touch or manpulate anything, just balance the light.

Hope this helps.

Robert