PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Roman Aqueduct

Wendy Kates
07-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Hello all! I'm sorry I've been out of OOTB for so long: I got back from my sabbatical in Israel on May 1, and have been totally inundated with work deadlines. But I think I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! So I am hoping to become more active again.

This is a Roman aqueduct that was built around 2,000 years ago in Cesaeria, Israel (a town of Roman ruins). I tried to process it creatively (e.g., I tried converting it to sepia) but I kept coming back to the original image which I liked better. So the only processing I did here was to desaturate the sky a bit, and flip it horizontally. Critiques and suggestions are welcome.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
07-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Wendy,

Greetings. Welcome back. OOTB seems to be going through a dry spell... everyone having summer fun. Interesting shot... amazing for a 2000 year old structure. I'd probably remove the two white posts on the right and crop some of the bottom. Maybe as much as to the top of the first rock on the left for a better diagonal, forgoing some foreground. Thanks for posting.,

Cheers,

-Michael-

Anita Bower
07-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Hi, Wendy. I've long wanted to see the Roman aqueducts. Are they made of stone? The colors in you image make them look more like adobe, but that can't be. Your photo nicely captures the length of the aqueduct as it goes on over the horizon. It also nicely shows the many beautiful arches supporting it. I agree with Michael about cropping from the bottom. The main thing that bothers me is the presence of the safety fencing, signs, and other structures that interfere with the beauty of the architecture. Not sure how to solve that problem. I hope you have time to share more of your photos.

gary ellwein
07-20-2014, 02:08 AM
Wendy, I marvel at the longevity and preservation of the aqueduct. I like the diagonal line. I agree with Michael, that a bit off the bottom would help. A bit of photoshop work could eliminate the modern debris.

Wendy Kates
07-20-2014, 02:52 PM
Thanks, all, for your excellent input. I agree that cropping the image and eliminating debris will help. I also agree with Anita though, that it would be difficult to exclude the safety fence, etc.

Paul Lagasi
07-20-2014, 03:09 PM
Wendy, I agree it would be tough to remove the fence but the garbage bag, might be do-able. I am surprised you got this image without any other people in the photo. I love the way it just goes forever and drops off at the back of the image. Well done

Cheryl Slechta
07-20-2014, 06:56 PM
Hi, Wendy, I agree that removing the trash container and bag should be an easy fix. I also would like this with a crop from the bottom to just above the white spot on the closest rock. I love the depth of the image.:S3: