PDA

View Full Version : Go tighter for detail

Andreas Liedmann
07-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Hi Folks ,
i already posted this as a wider version edited on MacBook pro during my visit on Helgoland .
I thought well give it another shot at home and see what is possible to get in PP.

Two Grey Seals fun fighting on the beach on overcast day.

Techs : Canon EOS 1 Dx
EF 500 IS L
Tripod

F 8 ; 1/1000 sec and now comes the surprise unbelievable ISO 20000 .

Processed with all new Canon DPP 4.0 and PS CC 2014., Cropped to 50 % of FF . No luminance NR at all , just chrominance NR in DPP . I softened the BKG /Eyes slightly after downsampling with Frequency separation a technique that is used for softening skin in Beauty/Portrait shots.

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous thread.

Cheers Andreas

Rachel Hollander
07-18-2014, 07:44 PM
Hi Andreas - I prefer this one to the wider view because the tighter crop eliminates some of the distracting elements including the seal coming in from the left. I also like the subtleness of the water and wave here. Nice detail and at this size it certainly looks like the noise is controlled despite the high ISO. I do wonder what would happen in a print.

TFS,
Rachel

Loi Nguyen
07-18-2014, 08:23 PM
Hi Andreas, pretty amazing details at ISO-20000! I just wish the crop didn't take away the foot of the one on the left, but I suspect you cropped there to remove a distraction. Loi

Steve Kaluski
07-19-2014, 03:17 AM
Hi Andreas, kudos it going that high, I did try in SA at night with Lions, but you need to be rock steady, but more importantly have some available light. :w3

When I first saw it I had the same thought as Loi, but I think the HA draws you away, so perhaps not a deal breaker. Interesting to note your thought on the eyes, I love to see subjects when you get that 'glossy, rich' look to them. Like the overall colours & tone, plus detail is preserved too.

I still like the fact I can target and extract more from LR compared to DPP, I know in Canon CPS they have had articles, but is there an update PDF on the workings of this new update? If so can you drop me a line.

TFS
Steve

Steve Canuel
07-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Another nicely composed shot with some interesting interaction between subjects. Detail looks great. You had a productive outing.

Arthur Morris
07-20-2014, 07:06 PM
Looks great, action, beautifully framed, and yes at an amazing ISO 20K!

Andreas Liedmann
07-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Thanks folks for your kind comments , all are appreciated.

Steve - the eyes are the only place where noise was visible in the subject due to the smooth surface , so at 20k iso noise is there !!!!! I just forgot to overcome that smoothing for your/my beloved glossy eyes. sorry , next time .

Cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
07-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Amazing quality at that ISO (for a Canon :w3) :bg3:
Love the sheepish look of the leftmost one a lot!

Andreas Liedmann
07-21-2014, 04:34 PM
Thanks Morkel i thought about you ,that you are standing above this :t3, meaning the Nikonians beating the better :bg3: Canonians , i´m kind of disappointed :S3:. But we all learn from time to time new stuff , LOL.

The solution is I AM that good in NR that you hardly any in my Canon files ............. mostly. Just start to giggle while i type this.

Just love this , thanks Morkel .