PDA

View Full Version : Lapland Longspur swiffer dust mop.

Shawn Zierman
07-17-2014, 10:37 PM
This industrious lapland longspur looked like it was dust mopping as it foraged for insects and spiders amongst the webs on a long stretch of breakwater rocks. The feet are barely visible due to the webbing, and a long stretch of web is visible over the top of the bird's head. Image made on a breakwater on Lake Superior in Northern Minnesota. Canon7d, Sigma50/500os, iso800, 1/640, f9, cropped, selective NR to the background, selective USM to the subject and fg. Comments and critiques welcome.
Regards,
Shawn Zierman.

Tim King
07-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Web-footed Longspur? A new species you can add to your list of great photos. Fine job.

gail bisson
07-18-2014, 05:44 AM
Great title and I love all the cobweb stuff on the beak.
You have some nice diagonal lines running through the image and I like how the tail and legs are parallel to the rock.
You have a great head turn and perky pose. IQ is excellent.
I like the birds' size in the frame.
I would be tempted to clone out the thin white line between the wing tips and the tail. I know it is part of the cobwebs but I don't think it adds anything here.
On my monitor the wing secondaries look a bit oversharpened and I would back off ever so slightly.
Very nice image,
Gail

Grace Scalzo
07-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Tells a great story, Shawn. Love the bird, his perch, and all the little webs. I wouldn't mind a bit looser crop.

John Robinson
07-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Interesting behavioural stuff Shawn. Looks fine as is to me.
JohnR

Daniel Cadieux
07-18-2014, 10:52 AM
I really love the warmth of the image's colours form the subject to the perch and also the BG. Everything ties in together quite well. Excellent pose too. I agree with a looser crop, but as posted it shows well what this fella (or gal) was busy working on.

Karl Egressy
07-18-2014, 04:18 PM
Nice species to have, excellent details and pose, Shawn.

Marina Scarr
07-18-2014, 08:51 PM
This is a very powerful image with a super title. Great color palette, pose, perch and story. I wouldn't touch a thing. Could go wider but I am good either way.

Stu Bowie
07-19-2014, 05:55 AM
Hi Shawn, great eye level capture here, and you have brought out the finer detail and colours on the bird nicely. Love the cobweb running over the birds head, and the colours of the perch, bird and BG compliment each other so well.