PDA

View Full Version : Snug as a Bug in a Rug!

Marina Scarr
07-17-2014, 07:14 AM
I just love how the Least Tern chicks snuggle up with the adults. I am always smiling when photographing chicks. This is a pretty large crop (horizontal to vertical) hence some loss of IQ (original is sharp) but I posted it anyway b/c of the cuteness factor.

Comments and critiques welcomed and much appreciated.

Canon 1D4, Canon 500 & 2.0 TC @1000mm
F11, 1/1600sec, ISO 800, manual mode
Feisol tripod, Jobu head

John Robinson
07-17-2014, 07:18 AM
Yes and it certainly has the cuteness stuff !! Good handling of the whites tooand plenty of them in this shot.
Like it
JohnR

Grace Scalzo
07-17-2014, 08:12 AM
Honestly, the softness enhances this image. Gives that dreamy, baby feel. Great work.

Rick Bowers
07-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Major cuteness factor and interaction. Great shot!

Daniel Cadieux
07-17-2014, 09:42 AM
Ahh, too cute. Love the shell bedding. Good light. Perhaps for posting just sharpen around the adult's eye area, and I'd remove the specular highlight above its' head.

keith mitchell
07-17-2014, 10:51 AM
Marina the softness of the plumage really makes this image for me it really is lovely.

Keith.

Richard Flack
07-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Stunning image Marina and a lovely moment captured. So precious! What was the reason for you going vertical? (as I think a horizontal could be awesome... I am one for a bit more space around the bird)

Joseph Przybyla
07-17-2014, 05:50 PM
Precious moment, lovely image. I am in agreement that the slight softness adds to the image and moment.

adrian dancy
07-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Delightful image. I agree with Daniel.

The image is sharp enough.

gail bisson
07-18-2014, 06:02 AM
A 'warm and fuzzy" image. I am a bit late to the party so read through the comments before I posted mine.
Daniel has echoed my sentiments exactly!
Gail

Shawn Zierman
07-18-2014, 08:41 AM
I enjoy the crop choice. The image and all the emotions that I project onto it are touching...most anybody would appreciate the emotional aspect of the image, regardless of their appreciation of bird photography. I think a little more sharpening around the adult's eye/head area is worth considering, and +1 to eliminating the specular highlight above the bird's head (if it fits with your ethics of course)...

Marina Scarr
07-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Thank you all for your thoughtful comments and critiques. Here's the horizontal. I don't like the way the tail takes up so much spaces and throws the balance off of the image. For me, the focus is on the interaction of the 2, but I'd be curious to hear any other views.

Daniel Cadieux
07-19-2014, 09:29 AM
I can see how the long tail made for a difficult composition choice but I must admit I am really liking the horizontal...alot. I can see how one would want more room left at left, but the vertical crop you presented us was a real good alternative to that.

Matthew Jones
07-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Delightful, the chick is in heaven and so am I when I see this behaviour. The horizontal crop works better for me with a sliver off the top and on the bottom if you have it.

David Salem
07-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Great interaction between the two and I like the HAs on both and the fact that they both have catch lights. I definitely like the horizontal better as it shows the whole bird, and more so, it brings back a lot more IQ. Nice work Marina.

Doug Brown
07-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Love the interaction Marina. Like some of the others I could see a horizontal crop, although I understand your reasons for going vertical. A bit more sharpening of the parent's head would improve an already solid frame.