Levels
Curves
Saturation
Selective Color
Nik Software - Dfine 2.0 noise reduction - background only
Photoshop USM

Jonathan Ashton
07-16-2014, 11:20 AM
Good idea always good to see new poses. The image is very sharp and beautifully exposed, although I like it I can't help asking have you got a "complete" image I would love to see one.

nick clayton
07-16-2014, 12:56 PM
I didn't get a "complete" image with it covered in dew Jonathan, I wanted to get in close to show the dew. Thanks for the comment.

Allen Sparks
07-18-2014, 09:12 PM
Wow Nick -- Great close up details and love the dew. very well done. Neat perspective.
Allen

nick clayton
07-20-2014, 03:51 AM
Thanks Allen

Ron Conlon
07-20-2014, 11:45 AM
I really like the composition with the sharp thorax and head central and wings radiating out.

nick clayton
07-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Appreciated Ron

Arthur Morris
07-21-2014, 08:19 PM
Spectacular dew, details, and colors. I am wishing to see more of those long legs.... I am thinking that some sort of vertical here might have been the contest winner. How many frames of this did you create?

nick clayton
07-22-2014, 01:16 PM

Thanks Artie. I didn't take as many frames as I would have liked and didn't take any vertical images, I have attached an image that started it's life as a landscape format and I have cropped into more of a vertical.

Arthur Morris
07-23-2014, 05:05 AM
Thanks Nick. As a general rule when you see something spectacular you should keep shooting until either the situation is gone or your arms fall off. And when doing so it is always a great plan to create a variety of images after you think that you have what you want :). Been there, not done that....

nick clayton
07-23-2014, 12:15 PM
Thanks Artie, I was photographing this insect from 04:20 hrs which was some 10 minutes before sunrise until it warmed up and flew off across a stream at about 06:00 hrs. I can assure you between these times I was taking as many images as possible in as many poses as I could conceive.

I should really have mentioned the method I used when I posted the image, which was with the camera and lens attached to a tripod, using live view and an electronic remote release, so each time I tried a different angle it was a bit time consuming to set up. The biggest obstacle though was there was a slight breeze which when you are using long exposures as I was here is a major headache, a large portion of the images were ruined by motion blur.

So feel free to mark me down if you think I missed the killer image, please don’t mark me down on effort Artie because I worked my butt off. :S3:

Here’s another one from that session.

Arthur Morris
07-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Hey Nick, Pane 11 rocks! It is my fave by far.

I do not mark anyone up or down :) I just view the image and share my thoughts. I have always stated that macro is way too much work for me :). Thanks for the additional info. As for the hard work angle, I know all about it as I have been doing it for nearly 31 years now. Next AUG 7 will be 31 years on the button :).

nick clayton
07-28-2014, 01:28 PM
Thanks Artie I’m pleased you like the image.

As for my reply I didn’t want you to think I would leave such an opportunity half way through the session, I would have to be bonkers to do that!

I somehow doubt that macro is way too much work for you; you must be one of the hardest working photographers out there, with all the brilliant birdlife you have access to why would you bother with macro.

In those 31 years you have worked your way to the top of the bird photography tree and there is no doubt in my mind that is due mainly to hard work. Your enthusiasm and shared knowledge have helped many other photographers such as myself, so thanks for that Artie and here’s to another 31 years. :S3:

Arthur Morris
07-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Thanks for your way more than kind words Nick. Macro photographers need to spend lots of time kneeling and thing that I just cannot do that anymore. The 2 biggest factors in my success have been 1- my determination and 2- my willingness to work hard. The enthusiasm is a result of my loving what I do and my willingness to share comes in part from my wanting to repay the many who have kindly helped and who continue to hep me along the way and in part from wanting to be the center of attention.... The latter of course is less than ideal motivation :)