PDA

View Full Version : Dust Cap

Anette Mossbacher
07-15-2014, 09:13 AM
Elephant bull dusting himself. I spent quite a few days with some elephant bulls drinking (for hours!) and afterwards dusting. Sadly I had 2 cars in front of me, so could not get in a better position for this elephant.

Lightroom the usual adjusting, (20min cleaning dust bunnies, even that I cleaned my lens every 10min. was very windy) and finished in Photoshop with levels, Midtones and grabbing the details.

1DX
70-200 f/2.8 II & 2x III
1/1600 f/8 ISO 400

PS I apologize that I am not able to comment & post more lately. I am very busy right which is good in some corners, but need a break soon!
Rachel, I was not even able to touch any cat image so far, sorry!

Steve Kaluski
07-15-2014, 10:17 AM
Hi Anette, lovely image, nicely processed too, shades of Mr Delaney, LOL. :t3

Sadly I had 2 cars in front of me, so could not get in a better position for this elephant.

Should stick with Rachel & I, would not let that happen. :bg3:

Nicely timed with the dust and I love that clean blue sky and bleached grass. Like the pose, especially the curled trunk and closed eyes, seems a happy fellow. Good room around the subject, but would have preferred the white 'earth' flanking the elephant not to be there, having all grass is cleaner, but that's life. Having the horizon cutting through where it is, is probably about right ,as you could not go lower or higher. Techs look good, likewise the kit combo, glad you took the 1DX. Have you considered a nice 'rich B/W with some good contrast?

Look forward to more, think I might post a 'cat' before you though, but who knows.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
07-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Hi Anette - classic Etosha scene. Well timed and processed. I like the shadow the dust cloud created on the ele. Good to see you posting again, you've been missed!

I'll just have to wait impatiently for your cat images. You should have never told us about the great sightings at dinner. Though I do believe Steve has now thrown down the challenge.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
07-15-2014, 10:29 AM
HI Steve,

if I would have sticked with you two I would not have gotten this happy chap :bg3:
The timing was the high speed, push the throttle of the camera to highest, result in who knows how many GB on files :bg3:
I did not bleach the grass or did anything to the colors at all ( as it is taken, maybe the 1DX supports my thoughts ) The white earth I can clone out or when I would have been able to move the car more forward, which I sadly couldn't. I saw it, have a little flea on my ear saying watch the BG!!
No way to go lower only a car window bit up, which would not have helped much.
B&W not yet considered yet, will check when back from our holidays in August. If I start that now, it will take again 2 days till I am happy with it :2eyes2:
Post your cat, I did not even touch them yet. Elephants are on…. glad that I love those :t3

Thanks so much Steve

Ciao
Anette

Anette Mossbacher
07-15-2014, 10:32 AM
lolololol Rachel, at dinner I was just not able to throw in my sightings :t3
Also it is always good to surprise you with something new :2eyes2: :eek3:. Told ya to come along, you could have stayed in a room or chalet at the camp. Next time :w3

Thanks so much

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
07-15-2014, 11:38 AM
I did not bleach the grass or did anything to the colors at all

Didn't suggest that, just liked the look due to the strong light there, bleaching the colour, although it's just light, turn of phrase. :w3 Glad you like the fps, think the amount you shot there with this chap wouldn't touch Rachel's shoot count as you know, LOL.

Anette Mossbacher
07-15-2014, 11:42 AM
lololol, I never will be able to touch Rachel's shot count :tinysmile_shy_t: could count how many I have of this one, but there is ark and now it is his time :w3

Ciao
Anette

Andreas Liedmann
07-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Yes Mr Delaney is sitting somewhere in the far bush, i think i can see him :t3. But he forgot to throw in his contrast , LOL.

Hi Anette good to see you coming back for a short time.

Love the typical Etosha ellie scene. Area ?
Like the overall color and tone , comp works nice and the flying dust/dirt is adding a lot, nicely timed , easy with full burst ........:bg3:.
I would expect deeper shadows , looking at the sun angle , shadows looking a wee bit light for my taste, but hey it is just me ........

Like to see more of that stuff

Cheers Andreas

Marc Mol
07-15-2014, 01:17 PM
I like this a lot Anette, the thrown back trunk and dust cloud is spot on although the lighting cond's not ideal has been well handled.
It does scream of a monochrome conversion, so will look forward to that.:w3

Gabriela Plesea
07-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Beautiful image, Anette! Would not change a thing, yet would love to see a B/W version of this!:bg3: No crits, just compliments, thank you for sharing this, really enjoyed viewing!!!

Kind regards,

Anette Mossbacher
07-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Hi Andreas,

lolol, might be right, but was not able to get a copy of Godfather :w3 but I got something very different. Will come after our holidays. Shadows, you and your shadows all the time :2eyes2:
Mine are nicely done and when you do your settings properly than you get this lolololol :cheers:
PS October is on!

Hi Marc, yeah another B&W fan :bg3: okay okay, will do it when I have done the image what sits in PS screaming at me, get me for gods s..e ready NOW :eek3:

Thanks so much you two

Enjoy your eve

Ciao
Anette

PS Germany is World Champion, cooool :wave:

Anette Mossbacher
07-15-2014, 02:56 PM
Hi Gabriela,

another B&W person, oh my god. Than I might sit all night here replacing the screaming image in PS with this elle :w3
Thanks so much Gabriela

Enjoy your evening

Ciao
Anette :wave:

Morkel Erasmus
07-15-2014, 11:11 PM
Love this shot, Anette. Great timing, colours and contrast...this one should work fine in colour and monochrome.
SHOW. THE. CATS. :eek3:

Anette Mossbacher
07-16-2014, 02:51 AM
Thanks a lot Morkel, B&W will come in August after the summer holidays :bg3:

have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Marc Mol
07-16-2014, 02:54 AM
Hi Marc, yeah another B&W fan :bg3: okay okay, will do it when I have done the image what sits in PS screaming at me, get me for gods s..e ready NOW :eek3:

Thanks so much you two

Actually I'm not such a huge fan of B&W, it's more a case of when I see an image that suits the medium I'll have a crack, and this is just one that will suit nicely IMO.:w3

PS. I backed Germany @ 7/1 early in this WC which returned me enough to finance my next trip to Zambia in late Oct. :cheers:

Anette Mossbacher
07-16-2014, 04:19 AM
lololol, Marc when you did this @ 7/1, I am sure that I can fit in your bag as well to come along :w3

B&W yes it will suit this one, have seen it already and did till midnight a few fast versions. Looks good, will post after holidays in your home country :c3:

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Brendon Cremer
07-16-2014, 04:54 AM
Great image indeed Anette, Great tones and detail, and the dust cloud above him really adds nicely. I may be inclined to lose just a little off the FG and then add a little more punch to the sky to bring out the blues a little, mostly just personal preference, otherwise great image.

Anette Mossbacher
07-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Thank you very much Brendon. Will give your suggestion a try after my walk with ark, our dogface :bg3:

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Loi Nguyen
07-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Lovely shot, Anette. Well timed action. Glad to see using the 70-200 and 2X combo. I have been debating whether I should get the 200-400f4, but might just stick with the 70-200 + 2X due to weight and I'm not willing yet to give up the 500f4. TFS. Loi

Steve Canuel
07-16-2014, 09:46 PM
I like the soft, muted colors and would stay with the color version. Great timing on the dust cloud, I also like the curl of the trunk and being able to see all four legs.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
07-18-2014, 12:30 PM
Anette, this is a superb image. I love the perfect position of the dust cloud over the head. Nice DOF, very good composition and processing. Well done. TFS.