PDA

View Full Version : An Experiment

Rachel Hollander
07-15-2014, 07:25 AM
On our recent trip Steve wanted to get some oxpecker images. One of his chances came while we were in the Timbavati Game Reserve, South Africa when we found a large herd of buffalo (100s) and had an opportunity to sit in the middle of them. It was early in the afternoon and the light was still strong (as was the smell). The buffaloes were fairly relaxed and I used the opportunity to experiment with some comps and close-ups. Here's one of my experiments. I know Steve thinks I should flip it but I don't like to do that.:w3

Canon 7D
300 II
1/320
f5.6
ISO 400
HH from safari vehicle, ff, luminosity masks, levels, curves, selective burning and dodging in CCPS. Converted in Nik Silver Efex, 4% Nik DE applied.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
07-15-2014, 07:35 AM
I like this loads, Rachel - great toning, congrast and OOTB composition. :5 :cheers:
I'm also for not flipping it :w3

Steve Kaluski
07-15-2014, 08:13 AM
Rachel glad to be of service and you could get what you wanted, was this from the 300 strong heard in the afternoon?

Sorry, but I stick to my guns on flipping it, but it just comes back to advertising again, I know it's a stand alone, but I'm too long in the tooth to change. :bg3: I'm not sure if a tad more DoF would have made a big difference to the end of the horn, retaining more detail, I guess it's more about the face & eye. A small Curves adjustment on the ear just brings out a little more form & detail which i think is nice, but... Tone colour works, make sure things don't go too 'oldie world'.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
07-15-2014, 08:27 AM
Thanks Morkel and Steve. Steve - yes, it was from that large herd by the dam.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
07-15-2014, 09:00 AM
Hi Rachel,

you know that I like the image :bg3: also that I am here in Steve's path with flipping :w3
You might should have taken from both sides a image, at home you could decide than which one is best.
I might would brighten up a tad the antler and the eye surrounding, when you know what I am after.
Overall I like the toning even that I am still not such a sepia person, will get there sooner or later :w3

Ciao
Anette

David Kenny
07-15-2014, 09:37 AM
I like it as is. Great comp and I really like the details in the horn.

Andreas Liedmann
07-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Hi Rachel i think you did a stunning job .......... love it , like the ´camouflaged Leopard´.

Very , very nice :cheers: :cheers:, lifting my hat.

TFS Andreas

Marc Mol
07-15-2014, 01:03 PM
Love the details and tone here Rachel and another for NO to the flip, that went out with film :2eyes2: :bg3::bg3:

Gabriela Plesea
07-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Love it Rachel, well composed and the toning works for me. I vote with Steve and Anette regarding flip:tinysmile_shy_t:
Nice to see you experimenting - very original, I would lighten the eye a tad more, great work, keep them coming please!!!

Warmest regards from

Rachel Hollander
07-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like it. I won't flip it but will take a look at the other suggestions :bg3:.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Brendon Cremer
07-16-2014, 05:00 AM
Very nice Image Rachel, well captured with great detail and nice comp. I do see a slight halo on the inside edge of the horn and the outside top edge of the horn, easy to fix though.

Neil Burton
07-16-2014, 06:26 AM
Dont think I mind about flipping, wither works. I would maybe tone down the sepia by 30-50% but keep some tint. Awsome shot.

Rachel Hollander
07-16-2014, 06:56 AM
Thanks Brendon and Neil, much appreciated.

Rachel

Loi Nguyen
07-16-2014, 01:18 PM
hi Rachel, great details and the B&W toned works well here. I don't have any strong view towards flipping or not flipping, but on a personal preference I'm not sold on the crop that cuts right thru the middle of the face though. TFS. Loi