PDA

View Full Version : Australian Pelican

Leigh Cojocar
07-15-2014, 05:24 AM
<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/leighcojocar/14473499109/player/" width="427" height="640" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" oallowfullscreen="" msallowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Taken at the Healsville Zoo outside Melbourne, AUS

Canon 60D, Tamron 150-600 @ 173mm, F5.6, 1/400th, ISO 1600

Adjustments in LR.

David Kenny
07-15-2014, 06:35 AM
Nice one. Do you have any other shots tighter on the pelican? I feel that there is too much room on top. You probably could have got in nice and close with that lens. From what I can see the feather details look nice and sharp and the pelican posed nicely for you.

Dave

Diane Miller
07-15-2014, 06:33 PM
I agree with David. I'd take some off the top and definitely post it larger. (Hard to evaluate small images for quality or details.) This is only 640 pixels high and you can go up to 900 high x 1200 wide.

A very nice pose and the whites look very good. That looks like a very flexible zoom range! Was this shot as a vertical? If's good if you did -- you always want to minimize cropping.

Leigh Cojocar
07-16-2014, 05:37 AM
Not sure why I can't edit the first post, or load my pictures directly to BPN anymore (I got a e-mail saying my subscription was renewed)

The picture was not taken vertically. I cropped it that way to get rid of another bird in the frame. I was having trouble getting enough shutter speed so I was scared to zoom in to much since I didn't have a tripod. I haven't had much luck with slower shutter speeds at the longer range of the zoom hand held.

Diane Miller
07-16-2014, 08:37 AM
Sound reasoning, in that case. With a long lens, a tripod is a good investment. But do some research and get a good one. Buying a cheap one is not a good investment.

You could get a lot of advice in the Photography Gear forum.

Arthur Morris
07-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Leigh, I have asked Peter Kes to look into your membership status. Best advice: purchase and use a tripod to take advantage of the full reach of your lens....

Leigh Cojocar
07-21-2014, 08:00 AM
Thanks guys, I have a tripod but didn't have it on me at the time.

And I am getting the membership sorted out.