PDA

View Full Version : Maritime Sunset.

Daniel Cadieux
07-14-2014, 05:35 PM
While vacationing in Nova Scotia's Cape Breton Island I saw this image the previous day while exploring some areas near where we stayed...went back the next day at the same hour with camera in hand and took the very image I had pre-visualized except now there was only one boat rather than the two the previous day. Most of the time while photographing the scene the boat was pointing directly at me, but I wanted it sideways in the position we see here...the sun was setting quickly and just before it set below the hills the boat finally presented itself correctly. Thank you wind! :S3:

Canon 7D + Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 @66mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/640s., f/14, ISO 200, handheld. Boosted the saturation to make it more dramatic as I had remembered, and cloned out a faint roof outline visible near the shoreline.

David Kenny
07-14-2014, 06:47 PM
This is nice balanced composition. I think having a second boat would have thrown off that balance. The light coming through the boat windows is a nice touch too. Looks like the tamron has good flare control too.

Dave

Don Nelson
07-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Nice composition. Did you apply a filter at exposure or subsequently at processing? Or shift that white balance?
Couple of dust spots, most notably this one:

Daniel Cadieux
07-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Thanks guys! Had there been two boats I would have framed wider as indeed as is the comp would have been off-balance. Don, no particular filters applied...just boosted the saturation both via Hue/Saturation and Sponge Tool. Thanks for catching the pesky dust bunnies!

Don Railton
07-14-2014, 11:21 PM
Hi Dan

I like the composition and all the layers stacked up. Well seen. Good call also on waiting for the wind to position the boat as the image is much stronger with boat in this position IMHO. Its a very warm image with very strong reds throughout... Did you stay till after the sun dropped below the hills? Only warranted if you had a tripod with you..

regards

DON

Diane Miller
07-16-2014, 09:03 AM
Very nice! With the wonderful light on this boat, I think another one might just compete with it. (Maybe a dinghy.)

I love the dark line of trees against the hills. The extreme brightness range is very well managed.

nick clayton
07-20-2014, 11:43 AM
I love the monochromatic feel about this image and the beautiful atmosphere created.

Andrew McLachlan
07-20-2014, 11:34 PM
Nice work Daniel! One boat is perfect for this scene...two boats would be too much. Looking forward to more of your landscapes from this trip.

Cheryl Slechta
07-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Lovely composition, Daniel. Very tranquil. I was in St. Martins, New Brunswick last year and I loved hearing the fog horn at night.:S3: