PDA

View Full Version : Frog on the Pool Edge

Linda Dulak
07-14-2014, 03:24 PM
We were in the pool yesterday and found a frog on the edge. The only camera available at the time was Norm's Canon S90. I spent some time in the pool getting closer and closer to the frog for the best image I could. I never realized just how much the slight movement of the water could affect focus! This frog was very cooperative and I got a number of nice images but I think this was the best. I desaturated the background because the pool wall was not the most even of backgrounds and the best thing I could do to even it out was to select and totally desaturate it.

Canon S90, f7.1, 1/500 sec, +0.67 EC, ISO 400

Other than the selection and desaturation of the background, there was a bit of levels adjustment and sharpening.

Comments welcome.

Linda

Norm Dulak
07-15-2014, 05:51 AM
Pretty neat Linda. Great pose by what is obviously a showoff frog. And excellent dof and sharpness. Isn't it cool to have such a good pool companion?

Diane Miller
07-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Very cool! Wonderful focus and sharpness! I would never know you had done anything to the BG, but it sounds like it was a good move.

I'll refrain from commenting on what I hope it didn't do in the pool... (An acquaintance of mine once had a moose in the pool. It was quite an operation getting it out.)

Linda Dulak
07-16-2014, 06:24 AM
Thanks to both of you. Diane -- of course we find his gifts! But they are not as bad as the big bullfrog we had there several years. And we once had a snapping turtle get into the spa portion of the pool. That was a tough baby to get out too. But a moose would be worse!

Linda

Jonathan Ashton
07-16-2014, 11:23 AM
You did very well with the DOF, no doubt the small sensor is of benefit here, so often I have taken images f frogs only to wish I had more DOF! I like the colours and the pose, the area around his mouth seems slightly soft - not sure why?

nick clayton
07-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Great lighting and colours Linda

Allen Sparks
07-18-2014, 09:13 PM
Hi Linda, I like the details on the frog and that eye is great...

Allen