PDA

View Full Version : I can see you!

Richard Flack
07-14-2014, 09:26 AM

Ok, back to the more usual shot (after experimenting (possibly unsuccessfully) with a landscape one).
This must be one of my favourite Lanner shots from a recent trip to the Kgalagadi. This is the only time I got him looking up.
Look forward to your thoughts as usual. (Thanks again to all those that take the time to comment. I really appreciate it... even my photoshop has slowly started to improve thanks to all the help :))

Location: Lijersdraai Waterhole Polentswa Waterhole, Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, South Africa
Date taken: 11 June 2013
Photo details:
Canon 7D, 400mm f2.8
ISO 500
Shutter speed 1/5000
F stop 5.6
Exposure bias -0.3
Crop - 70% of original size, sharepened for web, improved shadows & small colour/vibrancy stuff

HadiAnsari
07-14-2014, 11:24 AM
Hi Richard.Wonderful photo of a wonderful subject.It is difficult to photograph birds in flight, unsurprisingly.TFS

Karl Egressy
07-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Very interesting head turn, looks good, Richard.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
07-14-2014, 02:30 PM
Wonderful flight shot, with a unique HA! Nice pleasing & complimentary BG too.

Juan Carlos Vindas
07-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Unusual pose! nice light and soft-coloured bg, thanks for sharing.

David Salem
07-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Nice Richard, you are really nailing these shots. This one is nice and sharp and is exposed well too. A unique HA with the upward stare and a cool wing position add to the frame. I like the smooth tan BG also.
Very well captured. Were these shots taken in one spot during one session or did you see them in more than one place?

vishaljadhav
07-15-2014, 12:30 PM
one beauty of a image
the head angle is unique

Richard Flack
07-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Really appreciate it!
David, I took some of the lanner shots over a 3 day period (3 sessions) at a waterhole called Polentswa in the Kgalagadi. There were two juveniles here that had made the waterhole their home and I got lucky with having the place to myself and getting some decent winter light. The sandgrouse (and some other lanner falcons) photographs were taken over 7 mornings at the Lejersdraai waterhole in the north of the park. (I have quite a few of these that I still need to show... got a ton going on at the moment so processing is happening in stages :). Thanks for your kind words and for taking the time! Cheers. Rich