PDA

View Full Version : In-camera HDR of Lower Rosseau Falls

Andrew McLachlan
07-13-2014, 08:19 PM
On the day this photo was created there was a persistent drizzle so I decided to make the drive from the cottage over to Lower Rosseau Falls on the Rosseau River. It takes me half an hour to make the trek over and by the time I got there the skies began to clear and soon the falls were in full sun. Rather than depart and return another day, I chose to play around with the Nikon D800's in-camera HDR feature, which creates a 108 MB TIFF file.

I was pleased to see that the water levels in the river were still high however, they are tinged with brown due to all the run-off from the rain. Usually by this time of year the river is down to a trickle.

I will be heading back to this region on Sunday for another week...hopefully it will rain again :)

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens @ 20mm
ISO 50
f22 @ 0.4 sec
Nikon Polarizing filter
Sharpening performed by using the new Tony Kuyper Action Panels

Look forward to comments.

Don Railton
07-13-2014, 08:40 PM
Hi Andrew.

Not normally a fan of the HDR look but I think is very nicely done, and more to the point, not overdone.... I especially like the water, I gives a nice sense of flow & motion through the image. The trees look a bit crunchy, not sure what handles you have to turn for controlling that but overall a great image.

DON

Diane Miller
07-13-2014, 09:57 PM
Love the wide-angle here. I'm surprised you can get away with HDR with moving water. Guess the slow SS blur helps?

What would you think about distorting it by stretching out the UR to make those trees lean in a little less? I'm also not enthusiastic about the crunchiness in the trees. Easy to work on with some masked blur?

David Kenny
07-14-2014, 06:33 PM
Great composition. I like the result of the sky and the flowing water. It seems like the HDR effect is a little over the top on the trees. That is cool feature to have in camera. Is there flexibility with the in camera HDR processing or does it shoot a burst and automatically merge them into a file and what you get is what you get? I am not to familiar with it.

Dave

Morkel Erasmus
07-18-2014, 05:54 AM
Nice comp/scene here Andrew, but I do feel it's suffering a bit from that muddied midtone HDR look...I'd burn midtones a bit and try and achieve a bit more natural tonal contrast...it's only a wee bit that's necessary IMHO. Nothing much you can do about the slight halo along the top of the trees if this was processed in-camera...:e3

Andrew McLachlan
07-20-2014, 11:25 PM
Thanks folks for the comments, much appreciated.

David - when shooting the in-camera HDR images with the D800 once you activate the in-camera HDR feature the camera will create the series of images and then automatically merge those files into one TIFF file.