PDA

View Full Version : Mindarie Sunset

Don Railton
07-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Hi Guys

Another Sunset... I went for a walk along a local coastal path looking for some Blue Wrens Saturday. Decided to throw in a wide angle lens "Just in case"... I found a few Wrens but could not get close to them, they are very spooky and rarely settle for more than a few seconds. I then found a Osprey perching and in the process of setting up for that I dropped my 1.4 TC 30 ft down a cliff..! :Whoa!: felt sick and I was almost ready to head home completely disheartened when I could see smoke from a bush fire drifting across the sea and the setting sun and cloud looked like it migh turn into something, so I hung around a little. I had to mount the camera across the Wimberley mount sideways to get the following shot. There is a couple of other photographers in frame which I decided to leave, but there is a few other elements I am not sure about and will wait and see if they attract comment..

1D4 + 18mm Ziess Distagon manual lens mounted crossways on the wimberley mount/tripod setup usually used for my 500mm
3.2 sec @ F18 at ISO 100. Personally I think this is a bit too long and now prefer Shutter speeds 0.5 ~ 1 sec, but others will have different ideas on that..

Processed in CS6 in ACR, mainly adjusting levels and leveling. Sharpened the FG (green sea weed) only.

Feel free to tear it to bits if you like, I dont mind... I have got to get past sunsets doing though...

DON

ps I did retrieve the TC and it still seems to function..need to check it out properly though.

Andrew McLachlan
07-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Hi Don, I do hope the teleconverter survived the plunge. The smoke provides a nice element to the sky and the colors look good to me, nice shutter speed for the ocean blur as well. I like the silhouetted photographer against the ocean as it gives us a sense of scale, but not the woman with the dog. For my tastes i think I would prefer a bottom edge that is dominated by the algae / moss covered rocks. Did you shoot any other variations of this scene, if so would love to see them when you have time to post :)

Don Railton
07-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Hi Andrew

Thank you for your comments. I have taken other images lower and down close to the sea weed that have more seaweed and less sea. Will post in a day or two... (Almost took a tumble in the weed as well, very slippery..) The woman and dog was one of the elements I was concerned about, another was the blue rope flotsam LRC. I too like the silhouetted photographer on the rock but not sure about the one crouching and his bag.

regards

DON

Diane Miller
07-13-2014, 09:53 PM
This is lovely! Glad the TC (and you!) survived. I like the photographer on the rock but would get rid of the figure right at the edge, as well as the blue rope.

Would love to see others from here!

Ian McHenry
07-13-2014, 11:03 PM
Beautiful blend of colours and nice long DOF and L to R view into the scene.
Was @ Mindarie Keys for a day trip in June 1990 and most obliging Osprey from boat trip.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Don Railton
07-13-2014, 11:19 PM
Thanks for your comments Diane and Ian..

Ian, this is taken from the coastal path immediately north of Mindarie where there are a number of artificial supports provided for Osprey stacks as there are quite a few living in that area. The Ospreys don't seem to use the supports however... Ospreys are often seen perched on the edge of the cliff you can see just behind the silhouetted figure. The cliffs overlook the reefs and this is the same cliff I bounce TC's down...:Whoa!:

regards

DON

Diane Miller
07-14-2014, 12:40 PM
I didn't mention it, but there is a magenta cast here. Maybe partly from light through the smoke, but have you looked at it with a slightly different color balance (tint)? A different balance for sky and rocks would probably not look artificial.

Don Railton
07-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Hi Diane
Well spotted, thanks.. I did not notice this myself. Will have a go at reprocessing this tonight to correct. The smoke would create more of a reddy/ brown cast than magenta. An ezio monitor is top of my list of wants...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diane Miller
07-14-2014, 06:48 PM
I jumped ship and recently got an NEC PA272W. Quite a bit more affordable than the good Eizos, and it is excellent!

Don Railton
07-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Thanks Diane, good to know. Have a friend that has just bought a Ezio and all her printing problems went away, but Ezio's are top dollar items.

Morkel Erasmus
07-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Just love the light and colours here, Don!
I'd crop off the buildings intruding on the RHS edge?
Sharpness also seems a bit lacking - not sure if it's a workflow issue?

Don Railton
07-16-2014, 09:08 AM
The Repost with White balance adjusted to reduce a lot of Magenta, and the girl with the Dog, a bit of rope and the buildings removed... Looks quite different with the magenta turned down... Thanks to all who commented for your help.

regards

DON

Morkel Erasmus
07-20-2014, 05:18 AM
Like the repost much better!

Cheryl Slechta
07-21-2014, 01:23 PM
Hi, Don, this is beautiful and I don't know which I like better (except that I like the removal of the blue thing). I would remove that edge of rock on the rhs in the repost.

Don Railton
07-21-2014, 11:35 PM
Thanks Morkel and Cheryl..

Thanks for pointing out that rock Cheryl... I will go and move it..!

regards

DON

Arthur Morris
08-03-2014, 07:02 PM
This one has more potential than the others above.... But the foreground is distracting, even in the repost. I think that you simply needed to move up a few yards. Is that a person on the rock on the right?