PDA

View Full Version : Just chewing the cud

Carl Walker
07-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Posted this elsewhere and never received any real feedback on it. I quite like the portrait but I guess it be good to get some comments from you all to see whether this is worth pursuing.

7D - Canon 300mm f2,8 L IS USM MKii - plus 2 x extender
ISO 640 - 1/400 SEC - F8 - AP HH
PP work in PS CC 2014 - cloned a young OOF calf in LRC - Dodge and Burn - levels and curves - HSL - sum on save for web

Rachel Hollander
07-11-2014, 06:08 PM
Hi Carl - nice sharpness and detail and I like the bg. Nice job on the cloning. It felt a little flat to me though so I took it into PS, gave it a boost in curves, adding 2 points of black to the blacks and neutrals in selective colors and burned the horns at 3%. I also thought the reds were a little strong so dropped them by -10. These are all easy fixes. The one other thing that bothers me is that it feels like the buffalo is a little past you even though it's in profile. I think you needed a slight head turn towards you to really take this up another notch.

TFS,
Rachel

David Kenny
07-11-2014, 07:00 PM
I agree with Rachel. A little head turn would of helped here.

Douglas Bolt
07-12-2014, 09:11 AM
A B&W image with Sepia tone jumped out at me. Nice portrait as is too.

Loi Nguyen
07-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Nice and sharp, good BG. I too felt the image a little flat, but that was corrected with Rachel's version. The lack of eye contact is an issue for me as this is a close up portrait. Loi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andreas Liedmann
07-13-2014, 03:31 AM
Hi Carl ,
quite nice from technical POV with the ever so often criticized 7D .Nice detail/sharpness and i do not mind about the slight head turn.
Rachel covered the tonal aspect with her RP , i would go further by dropping the exp even more by -1/3 stop plus i would give the HL a bit depth .
Very pleasing BKG.

TFS Andreas

Steve Canuel
07-13-2014, 01:05 PM
Rachel's darker repost addressed my thoughts. Also thought the edge of the top of the horns was a touch too sharp, giving a "pasted in" appearance but probably just me on that one. I enjoy seeing pictures of these animals.