PDA

View Full Version : An old art

Hazel Grant
07-11-2014, 10:01 AM
My friend is a professional artist in the old art of scherenschnitte (paper cutting). I am doing a theme collection of hands at work and took this yesterday as she did a demonstration at Cedarhurst Museum nearby. Tight crop. Topaz Simplify oil painting. A little color adjust and cloning. (for those of you not familiar with how intricate this art is, I'll post a copy of her work. it's not just paper dolls!)

Diane Miller
07-11-2014, 12:46 PM
For me, the beauty in hands, especially older ones, is concealed by this treatment. It's frustrating to me that there isn't a place here for straight photography, but I'd love to see this image, which looks very interesting and tells a story, without treatments.

Hazel Grant
07-11-2014, 05:29 PM
I agree, Diane, but I knew the straight photograph was not appropriate here, so tried an alternate route. I'll post the original as a followup.

Anita Bower
07-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Very nice. I can feel the tension in her hands as she cuts with precision. Nicely processed. The red dress was a plus.

gary ellwein
07-12-2014, 12:48 AM
I like the redo with it greater detail. Thanks to Anita for pointing out the tension in her hands. Sounds like the voice of experience.

Randall Farhy
07-14-2014, 07:14 AM
Hazel, both versions are strong in their own way. I prefer the abstract because it focuses attention on the work being done where the second is more about the age of the person performing the work. Strong composition (though maybe cropped just a bit tight left/right/bottom as the charm on the necklace would compliment the face of the watch). A fantastic color and pattern for the backdrop, thirds placement of the task, positive/negative spacial balance between the right hand and the space below, diagonal leading lines are elements well used. Nicely executed!

Hazel Grant
07-14-2014, 09:55 AM
thanks. hadn't thought about the necklace vs watchface balance. will check it out. the necklace is actually a silver scissors hanger,