PDA

View Full Version : Local Woods

David Kenny
07-10-2014, 02:47 PM
I was look for some feed back on this shot. It was taken between thunderstorms in a local hiking spot last week. I originally shot it with cloudy white balance and I used a polarizer which made the shot over saturated. In post I set the white balance back to daylight and in Light room I did -4 on saturation to try to keep it more natural looking. I then cropped it to an 8x10 format and sharpened in PS. I am color blind so I was looking for some help on the colors /colorcast. The sigma lens seems to warm everything up.

Canon 7D
Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 "C" @ 17mm F8
ISO 100
2 second exposure
Tripod mounted W/ 10 second delay and mirror lock up enabled.
Polarizer

Thanks

Don Railton
07-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Hi David..

It all looks pretty natural (and very appealing) to me... Greens look great, and I like the path leading through to the sun light clearing.. Very Nice.

regards

DON

Douglas Bolt
07-11-2014, 01:00 PM
The curve in the path around the tree and then the path reappear and point to its exit from the frame in the distance makes the composition for me. The green is convincing. I'm waiting for someone to point out a "green cast". Well done.

Diane Miller
07-11-2014, 11:42 PM
This is a lovely scene, and very pleasing! And my hat's off to anyone who can do this sort of thing being color blind -- although I'm not sure what that "looks like" -- and there are several flavors of it.

I wouldn't say this is a color cast but it does lean to the warms a little (yellows) but that is often appealing. I might pull back yellow saturation (or better, color temp in raw) and see how it compares.

Go here often!!!

Andrew McLachlan
07-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Hi David, I like this image and the way you composed the scene. Nicely done. If you can revisit, try using your wide angle zoom from a very low perspective, getting in close to one of those ferns for a more dramatic foreground element that leads you to the trail.

David Kenny
07-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Andrew the thought did cross my mind to use the ferns as a strong foreground element. But the thunder was rolling in behind me and I was about a mile from the car. Didn't want to press my luck. I will have to try it when I can get back out there.

Morkel Erasmus
07-15-2014, 11:37 PM
Love the vibrancy here - good suggestions above regarding possible compositions etc.
As is, I would tone down overall brightness through a luminosity mask at about 30% opacity...

Cheryl Slechta
07-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Lovely scene, David, with the path leading you into the woods. Nicely composed and I think the greens look like a natural "pre-rain" hue.:S3:

Bill Jobes
07-25-2014, 09:49 PM
This is a splendid image, David. The cut of the trail through the scene is its strongest element.

I think you were on the right track in reducing saturation. I would experiment with more de-sat of the greens.

The brightness of the tree and small meadow pull my attention, when I want to stay with the deeper foreground scene. You may want to try some selective reduction of brightness in the tree area, as well as the bright sky at upper left.

A more radical suggestion would be to change the aspect ratio and pull the upper edge down as far as you are comfortable with doing, so as to mitigate the impact of the brightness.

It would be interesting to see the scene on a cloudy day when the light is more uniform. I think the site has great potential for experimentation.

Geoffrey Montagu
08-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Peaceful scene, David. Very good suggestions above, but like as posted too.

Geoffrey