PDA

View Full Version : Pitcher Plant Flower

Norm Dulak
07-09-2014, 07:09 AM
Canon PowerShot S90, hand held
ISO equivalent 400; f/7.1, 1/250 sec
Standard CS6 adjustments

For this shot of a pitcher plant (Sarracenia sp.) flower in the Longwood Gardens conservatory, Linda held a black panel behind the flower to provide a clean background. The colors and delicate forms of the sepals, ovary and style caught my eye.

All comments and suggestions are as always welcome.

Norm

Linda Dulak
07-09-2014, 02:07 PM
I love it! I think you know how many times I've tried to get a good shot of these flowers. I really like the colors with the red highlights on the flower and great depth of field to get it all in focus.

Linda

Jonathan Ashton
07-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Norm I reckon you have a good assistant there - a lovely shot. The background sets off the flower head beautifully the details colour and composition is excellent. I do not mind the flaws in the left side of the bloom, in fact if they were not there the shot might look a little "too perfect" if you get my drift.

Diane Miller
07-09-2014, 11:11 PM
Lovely, with well-handled colors. Maybe a bit more room top and sides?

Norm Dulak
07-10-2014, 11:00 AM
THanks everyone, for your comments and suggestions.

Ron Conlon
07-11-2014, 05:55 AM
This subject has a lot of character. The colors and background are excellent. I too think a little extra canvas would boost the impact.

Steve Maxson
07-13-2014, 12:06 PM
Hi Norm. We have these growing in the bogs around here and they are one of my favorite plants. The black background worked well to help emphasize the interesting shape and color of the flower. You have accumulated quite a few high quality shots with your little camera - proving once again that one doesn't need the "big guns" to produce excellent images. :S3:

Norm Dulak
07-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Thanks Ron and Steve.

For those of you who urged a little more canvass, this repost is for you.