PDA

View Full Version : Lime Butterfly on Eyelash Plant

Bob Reimer
05-20-2008, 02:49 PM
We were out at one of my favourite oasis on the weekend and saw this Lime Butterfly feeding on the Eyelash Plant (Blepharis ciliaris). With this crop, you can't see the plant too well. It's quite spiny. The spines were used to apply kohl, the equivalent of eyeliner. The roasted roots could make one type of kohl. The butterfly wasn't spending too long at each flower, so I felt fortunate to be able to get an image this sharp.

Nikon D300, 80-400VR at 340mm, f/8, 1/1000s, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, 400 ISO processed with Capture NX 1.3.3 at -1 EV. I'm finding on most of my pictures, I want to drastically pull back the D300 exposure in post processing ... half to a full stop is not unusual.

Robert O'Toole
05-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi Bob, love the spines and the pose. Looks sharp and light isnt too harsh but I would like to see a little more room around the B-fly.

Also I find in bright light I normally set my D300 to -2/3 of more with a light subject. In weak sun or cloudy/shade, 0 works pretty well for light subjects.

Robert

Mike Moats
05-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey Bob, really nice image. Good details, light and I don't mind the tight crop. Well done.

David Steele
05-21-2008, 10:11 AM
A nice capture Bob, the markings on the butterfly are absolutely beautiful.