PDA

View Full Version : Painted Hills

dankearl
07-08-2014, 01:43 AM
Eastern Oregon

f11, iso200, 200mm (70-200vrii), D800, 1/100, Handheld

002_9242bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=142710&stc=1&d=1404801739)

Morkel Erasmus
07-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Love the colours and layers here Dan. I too am interested in more info as I've seen some images from these hills before.
I would consider a crop from the bottom to remove the lower RHS part that looks "out of place", I feel a simplistic focus on the main layers and colours would be best here...?

dankearl
07-08-2014, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the comments.
The Painted Hills are one of three units of the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument in the Eastern Oregon Ochoco mountains.
The hills are a few square miles across and about 500 feet high and are a floodplain deposit millions of years old.
The various colors are just different soil and mineral deposits that does not support hardly any vegetation.
They are quite spectacular and important research area for paleontologists.
This was a zoomed in photo of a small part as I was there in not great light so chose to do a bunch of closeups.
They are highly photographed and I actually spent more time at another unit of the fossil bed national Monument
about 40 miles away, but could not resist going to take some photos at the Painted Hills unit while I was in the area.

Rachel Hollander
07-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Hi Dan - thanks for the info and I too really like the colors. Part of me wonders if it would have been possible to move to the right and get a full frame of the more distant hills or at least avoid the partial hill in the llc. I don't mind the path as a leading line on the right side.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Railton
07-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Hi Dan

I would love to see this in good light..! I agree with cropping out most of the tussock flat LRC to keep focus in the interesting country, and it is an interesting blend of textures, colours and lines.. most unusual.

regards

DON

David Kenny
07-10-2014, 06:26 PM
I like it as is. I feel that the river bed or trail on the bottom right grounds the image and gives a good point of reference (not sure if that is the right term) as to what we are looking at.

-Dave

Don Nelson
07-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Nicely framed image - I would not remove the ground on the lower right as it anchors the image.
Dan - you should go back after a rain....the colors are substantially improved at that time.

Andrew McLachlan
07-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Very nice Dan...would like to see it after a rain as Don mentions to pump up the colors naturally. Either way a lovely intimate landscape.

Cheryl Slechta
07-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Hi, Dan, sorry I'm late commenting but this is beautiful! I like the shading and the subtle colors. I could see a crop from the top to eliminate the lighter band of colors but it's gorgeous just the way it is.:S3: It looks like someplace you could spends weeks photographing!