PDA

View Full Version : Gonubie in Monochrome

Morkel Erasmus
07-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Here's another photo from my sunset shoot in Gonubie, East London, South Africa over Easter.
Will post the colour version later - first the monochrome!

Again - single exposure, LOVE the D800 dynamic range :Whoa!:

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 @ 14mm
f10 | 3sec | ISO-50

Diane Miller
07-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Very nice! I love how the rocks are reaching out to the horizon. To me the darker clouds feel just a little heavy at the top. My eye jumps up there and gets too stuck before exploring the beautiful softness of the waves.

Don Railton
07-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Hi Morkel

Beautifully detailed rocks and I like the shutter used. Is that a hint of cityscape RHS horizon? It is a little heavy in places for me as well, but we all have our preferences here... Look forward to the colour version.

Regards

Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Morkel Erasmus
07-06-2014, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Diane and Don.

Is that a hint of cityscape RHS horizon?

Yes that's the East London skyline. Gonubie is a quaint little town on the outskirts of the city.

Morkel Erasmus
07-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Thanks Peter.

Here's a version with a lighter sky with less contrast too...
Thoughts??

Diane Miller
07-08-2014, 01:28 PM
I would have a look at lightening the darks in the sky without going this far with reduced contrast. It's lost some of the drama.

Rachel Hollander
07-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Hi Morkel - my vote too is for somewhere in between the two. I do keep finding my eye drawn to the rectangular rock just below center and thinking it looks somehow unnatural though it probably isn't.

TFS,
Rachel

David Stephens
07-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Love the DOF and DR. I prefer the first image, with the darker, more brooding darks in the clouds. Composition is nicely balanced to my eye and I like that the SS didn't smooth out the water too much. You can see that waves have broken, but you just don't see the detail.

Don Railton
07-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Hi Morkel

Hi Morkel

I prefer the second, but its pretty close... Just looking at your setting again, are you sure 3 sec is correct? should it be 0.3?? I ask because I think the waves look too well defined for 3 sec.. I would expect them to be smeared a lot more than they are..

regards

DON

Andrew McLachlan
07-12-2014, 07:57 PM
Hi Morkel, my vote is for the original post. Lovely scene. Agee on the D800's dynamic range...I do not use my grad filters near as often as I used too:)