PDA

View Full Version : Clapper Rail #2

Bill Dix
07-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Another from Sandy Hook on Tuesday. It was enjoyable to have a close encounter with these birds that up until now I've always found to be elusive. Next time I'll get there before the sun is quite so high.

D7000, 500f4, ISO 800, 1/1250s @ f/7.1 manual, fill @ -1/3 EV.

Karl Egressy
07-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Great find, excellent pose with the raised foot.

Diane Miller
07-04-2014, 07:14 PM
The sun might have been high but you got great detail in the shadows, as elsewhere. Looks like he's well camouflaged.

Juan Carlos Vindas
07-04-2014, 08:00 PM
Hello Bill!
How do you manage to get these guys out in the open? ha ha ha not an easy task for sure!
Lovely pose with a nice Clarity. I would tone down the brightness and see how it turns out. I am not familiar with this specie but I would be tempted to add a bit of saturation.

adrian dancy
07-04-2014, 09:32 PM
In all respects you have done well. Yes the sun was bright but it has not degraded the IQ. The image tones looks quite natural to me.

Grace Scalzo
07-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Great subject, harsh light…you have to shoot and make the best of it, which you did!

Stu Bowie
07-05-2014, 02:32 AM
Hi Bill, lovely low angle, and I do like how you managed to capture the raised foot. Nicely separated from the BG foliage.

gail bisson
07-05-2014, 07:19 AM
You get an A+ for getting this guy in the open like this.
The light really is harsh and I would play with the temp an brightness of the picture to see if you can fool the eye into thinking the light isn't quite so harsh. I would then add a couple of points of black to the image.
I am looking forward to some early morning images of this lovely rail,
Gail

Richard Flack
07-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Great image Bill. Love the pose and the detail you have captured. If anything I find the BG a little busy for my liking (but this is where they hang out). Well done!

Fernando Cerra
07-05-2014, 08:17 AM
One more reason to go out whatever the weather condition, great image !

Bill Dix
07-05-2014, 08:49 AM
OK. Try to think of this as an early morning shot. (Even if it was made at 10:30 on a cloudless morning.) I've tried your various and most helpful tips, to see if I could "fool the eye", as Gail suggested. I do believe the cumulative effect has been to improve the image, but I'll still go back for another try. I added a few points of black to the entire image, and warmed it up a bit; added a few points of saturation to the bird; toned down the background a bit. I do appreciate all of your comments and suggestions.

Juan Carlos, the Atlantic race of the Clapper Rail is in fact rather drab. The more colorful King Rail is a rarity around here; I've only seen one in my life. This saturated repost may push it a little past reality, although it does help the image.

Satish Ranadive
07-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Excellent image. Very nice pose with raised foot. I like the habitat giving 3D effect.

Regards,
Satish.

Geoffrey Montagu
07-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Another great image, Bill. I think you've managed to bring it very close to an early morning shot with all the work done. I like the determination in his eye and the raised foot, and the surrounding environment.

Geoffrey

Bill Dix
07-06-2014, 12:37 PM
Thank you Satish and Geoffrey.

MiroslavMaric
07-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Great pose and sharp bird. I like the the 2nd option more. It looks more colorful. TFS. Cheers! Miro

Juan Carlos Vindas
07-07-2014, 12:41 PM
OK. Try to think of this as an early morning shot. (Even if it was made at 10:30 on a cloudless morning.) I've tried your various and most helpful tips, to see if I could "fool the eye", as Gail suggested. I do believe the cumulative effect has been to improve the image, but I'll still go back for another try. I added a few points of black to the entire image, and warmed it up a bit; added a few points of saturation to the bird; toned down the background a bit. I do appreciate all of your comments and suggestions.

Juan Carlos, the Atlantic race of the Clapper Rail is in fact rather drab. The more colorful King Rail is a rarity around here; I've only seen one in my life. This saturated repost may push it a little past reality, although it does help the image.
Thanks Bill for your extra comments on this magnificent looking specie. I believe the repost is a good improvement and really fools the eye. I wish this one was mine! Take care!