PDA

View Full Version : Big Sur Icon, McWay Falls

Brian Wong
05-20-2008, 11:06 AM
EOS 20D, 16-35/2.8 @16mm, cable release, polarizer
8 sec, f/16, ISO 100

Big Sur Icon, McWay Falls

I am inspired seeing all the excellent, current slow-shutter speed/water themes being posted here.

This is a mature icon, 80 ft. McWay Falls, inside Julia Pheiffer State Park, Big Sur. Photographed after Sunset, last April. I think I added a polarizer to this to cut down the light, and help slow the water down.

Thank you for looking, and your suggestions are appreciated.

Robert Amoruso
05-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Brian,

There is so much that is good about this composition it is tough to list it all but here goes:

1) The lines of the image draw your eye around it in a circular pattern but it is not so strong as to keep the eye from going to the far-off glow on the horizon.
2) The rock on the lower left and the rock in the lagoon help to anchor and balance the image and the land jetting out in the middle ground.
3) The slow shutter speed reveals a milky white surf giving way to the coral colored water.
4) The falls nicely placed in the left third of the frame.

My only want in this image, and this is not a criticism, is to see more. I know you were at 16mm, but it begs for full frame camera to capture the bowl of the lagoon and a bit more of that great color in the BG sky. Does that want diminish this image in any way? NO. It just speaks to the power of this image making want to be there too.

Very impressive work. Thanks for posting it.

Roman Kurywczak
05-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi Brian,
Robert has definitely coverd the positives thoroughly! The rock/wave action in the center of the lagoon make this for me. since I am not familiar with what's out to the right with a wider view..............my only comment will be that it may diminish the imapct of the fall too much if you go out wider! Very nicely done!

Robert Amoruso
05-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi Brian,
Robert has definitely coverd the positives thoroughly! The rock/wave action in the center of the lagoon make this for me. since I am not familiar with what's out to the right with a wider view..............my only comment will be that it may diminish the imapct of the fall too much if you go out wider! Very nicely done!

I fully agree and more may not be the better image here. In fact, having the image make you want MORE is a positive affect on the viewer as it elicits an emotion.

Alfred Forns
05-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Sweet image and great critiques !!!! Way to go Robert !!!

I agree with seeing more of the image. Would keep the waterfall in the exact same strong position in frame !!! Big Time Congrats on this one !!!!

Rich Ikerd
05-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Exceptional colors Brian. Really like what the slow shutter speed did to both even the water out and provide those magical colors.

Brian Wong
05-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Brian,

There is so much that is good about this composition it is tough to list it all but here goes:

1) The lines of the image draw your eye around it in a circular pattern but it is not so strong as to keep the eye from going to the far-off glow on the horizon.
2) The rock on the lower left and the rock in the lagoon help to anchor and balance the image and the land jetting out in the middle ground.
3) The slow shutter speed reveals a milky white surf giving way to the coral colored water.
4) The falls nicely placed in the left third of the frame.

My only want in this image, and this is not a criticism, is to see more. I know you were at 16mm, but it begs for full frame camera to capture the bowl of the lagoon and a bit more of that great color in the BG sky. Does that want diminish this image in any way? NO. It just speaks to the power of this image making want to be there too.

Very impressive work. Thanks for posting it.

I wish to THANK YOU ALL for the fantastic critiques, all the suggestions, and most importantly, the vote of confidence and encouragement! It is really appreciated!

For those of you interested, this repost is a slightly wider view ... taken at a slightly higher position on the hillside. I feel that it is starting to lose the intimate, dreamy, slow water effect. What do you think?

Paul Pagano
05-26-2008, 09:04 AM
I agree the first image is more intimate. I do like both immensely however. Well done, Brian!